DIY Sight glass for mash tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just sharing this in case it's of interest to anyone...

When I'm fly sparging I try to keep the liquor just above the top of the grain but sometimes it's a bit difficult to see the level.
Yesterday I improvised a sight glass by tee'ing off a bit of clear tubing from the outlet - worked pretty well so I shall probably tidy this up and make it a permanent part of the kit.

Photo's a bit pants I'm afraid, but you can probably just about see the fluid level at the point where I am pointing. I put a clothes-peg on the pipe at that level to give me a quick visual reference :-)

IMG_5931.jpeg

Nice! I was moving beer between kegs at the weekend (after my 2nd pressure fermented lager was ready - whoop) and was left with no idea how much was in the kegs - will have to try something like this. In the end I just waited...

Nice! I was moving beer between kegs at the weekend (after my 2nd pressure fermented lager was ready - whoop) and was left with no idea how much was in the kegs - will have to try something like this. In the end I just waited...
I think it might be tricky with a keg unless it had a bottom tap - generally with kegs I use the platform scales

Back