DME usage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druid

Reaction score
WHen I have been reading about using DME, it seems the majority of what I have read has been about all grain brewing. So if you are just going to use it in addition to a kit, does it have to be boiled, or just mixed with hot water until dissolved? Sorry for the daft questions...I will get my head around this as quick as I can.

CHeers in advance

Dave

You don't need to boil it but dissolving in boiling water will sterilise it and make sure its dissolved.

No you don't need to boil it. It is easier to dissolve in cold water than hot.

I've been dumping it in to the pan of boiling water before adding it to the cold. Hopefully this should work as I've now 80 pints I've got sitting it FVs with this method.

I've been dumping it in to the pan of boiling water before adding it to the cold. Hopefully this should work as I've now 80 pints I've got sitting it FVs with this method.

Yeah it'll be fine. The only reason I dissolve it cold is because it doesn't clump together so much, and no steam to make the stuff congealed on the lip of whatever I'm pouring it from. Even clumps are OK - the yeast has no problem getting through them, it just might affect the OG reading if there are a lot of them.

Latest posts

Back