Do I need a fermentation fridge?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope this isn't a stupid question but do I need a fermentation fridge? I'm not even really sure what one is? I'm still in the research stage of Allgrain brewing but the more I read the more questions get thrown up and the amount of equipment I'll need. From what I understand the beer goes into the fridge to control the heat of the fermentation? That's about it. Is it to cool or heat the beer.? Also I've read about an Inkbird controlling the heat? Sorry for the million questions. Cheers.

No, you don’t need one. Plenty of brewers here just brewing styles with the seasons, or just with basic heating (not cooling) control for the colder months - me included.

Basically a fermentation fridge is an old fridge you’ve rigged up with a heating element inside and a temperature controller (like the Inkbird). You then put your FV inside it. The fridge provides the cooling, the heating element (could be a mat or tube heater) provides the warming, allowing a constant controllable fermentation temperature. So it’s heating and cooling, but really what it’s doing is maintaining a set temperature.

The benefit is you can ignore ambient temperature of the season and brew any style any time.

Last edited:
No you don't but temp control is a big factor in making beer. Most of the year in the UK you can get away with ambient/ household temps but if you use a garage or shed to brew the extremes of summer or winter can present some problems which you can overcome easily. An alternative is a water bath with a heater orvheat pad with insulation or changing beer style for warmer weather. I will also use my fridge to get wort to pitching temp at times when my chiller isn't effective.

Hi, thanks for both of your replys. So basically it's good to have if I could get hold of a cheap fridge and have somewhere to store it. It would make life a bit easier. Cheers.

Hi, thanks for both of your replys. So basically it's good to have if I could get hold of a cheap fridge and have somewhere to store it. It would make life a bit easier. Cheers.

Absolutely! I do intend on setting one up eventually too. If you’re interested, keep an eye on local free cycle/zero waste groups to see if anyone’s getting rid of old fridges.

If you have the space for one then I think it is a no brainier.
I made mine almost two years ago now.
  • Second hand Fridge off gumtree £5 (although I understand they are like Unicorn sh*t these days)
  • STC1000 Temperature controller £10 Amazon
  • 40w Tube heater £10 fleabay
  • and some old two core wire I had hanging around £0

Hi everyone, I hope this isn't a stupid question but do I need a fermentation fridge? I'm not even really sure what one is? I'm still in the research stage of Allgrain brewing but the more I read the more questions get thrown up and the amount of equipment I'll need. From what I understand the beer goes into the fridge to control the heat of the fermentation? That's about it. Is it to cool or heat the beer.? Also I've read about an Inkbird controlling the heat? Sorry for the million questions. Cheers.
Hi, not a silly question at all. I have been thinking the same thing myself. I am an amateur brewer and I have over the last few year made wines and ciders and now have taken the plunge with ales. My first a Wherry kit and I have just done a biab kit for Brewdog punk IPA. I have found with the wines I could just pretty much bung them in the larder and they cracked on with it but as the weather has turned cold again this week I am finding the temperature is not high enough and have had to bring them out of the larder and use extra heat for them. Luckily hubby doesn't seem to mind the table filling up with buckets and demijohns. I have been home since December after an ankle operation so have time to keep checking but I am thinking once I am back to work the fridge setup would suite me as I could pretty much leave it to it knowing I haven't got to worry if it's to hot or too cold.

Cheers everyone, I'll keep an eye out for a second hand fridge. I'm planning on buying my other equipment whenever the black friday deals come in so I've got time to work my way through a few books, this forum and YouTube. It all started by seeing all in one brewing systems and thought that sounds good, not much equipment. Ha, I think I was a bit naive thinking I only needed one piece of equipment to brew beer. Oh well onward and upward. I'm sure I'll have more questions about other things I need soon. Cheers.

Cheers everyone, I'll keep an eye out for a second hand fridge. I'm planning on buying my other equipment whenever the black friday deals come in so I've got time to work my way through a few books, this forum and YouTube. It all started by seeing all in one brewing systems and thought that sounds good, not much equipment. Ha, I think I was a bit naive thinking I only needed one piece of equipment to brew beer. Oh well onward and upward. I'm sure I'll have more questions about other things I need soon. Cheers.
I was like yourself, did plenty of research before taking the plunge, I bought a fridge and Inkbird (I would suggest the 308 rather than the 1000 as it is plug and play) you just plug in the fridge and your tube heater, set the temperature and go. I went for a tall larder fridge and I can get 2 FV's into it, which is useful, make sure you measure up the size you need before you buy the fidge, to allow for airlock(s) or blow off tube.

I got mine around 18 months after I started kit brewing. I hoped it might make a difference to my beer - and it did. There's no doubt that my beers have improved dramatically since getting the fridge - I can now brew all summer, or in the depths of winter, at a steady 20ºC with no worries about the cold stopping fermentation, or higher temperatures giving the beer off-flavours.

I got my fridge locally for £12 from ebay and got an Inkbird and a tube heater for a few quid from Amazon. Both the lead for the tube heater and the probe from the Inkbird fit perfectly through the drain hole at the back of the fridge, so there was no drilling to worry about. I absolutely wouldn't be without it now.

I’ve been brewing for a few years and have only used fridges for cold crashing beers at the end of fermentation to help clear them. I have generally been using the guest shower cubicle for primary as it stays around 21C with not much variation, and the garage for lagers but only in winter. I had a fridge in the garage that I cold crashed in but it was unmodified. That fridge died before I could do anything more with it. I’ve used my chest freezer where I dispense my kegs from since but only good for cold, no heater in it. It’s also a pain to access so not overly convenient.
Generally I’ve had good results before but restricted style wise by the time of year (and pesky guests wanting to use their shower, not an issue mind for the last year), but I’ve decided to get a fridge (arrives tomorrow) as a a proper fermentation fridge. Have a tube heater on its way to mount inside and an ink bird controller.
PS, there are no stupid questions here! I find it’s best to ask before making an expensive mistake! In my short time, I’ve found everyone helpful and patient!

Thanks, yes just feel like a bit of a plantpot sometimes asking lots of questions. I'm just scrolling through ebay at the moment see if anything pops up. Cheers.

I’m new to brewing and like yourself engrossed myself in the do’s and don'ts to get the best results. I managed to get an old fridge for a bottle of wine and kitted it out with help of YouTube and this forum. Can I taste the benefits?, probably not but I’m sure the more I brew and my taste refines I’m sure I will. I’m quite lucky because my ambient room temperature does fall between the sweet spot of ale fermentation. But I’m sure as summer kicks and maybe I do a Lager the fridge will really come into its own. I also have peace of mind with the inkbird doing it’s thing, I’m not checking on my brew every hour like it’s a new born baby. And it was fun to convert it !, I had a real sense of achievement. So if you’ve got the room for one and the cost is not a problem then Id say get one kitted out .

I’m new to brewing and like yourself engrossed myself in the do’s and don'ts to get the best results. I managed to get an old fridge for a bottle of wine and kitted it out with help of YouTube and this forum. Can I taste the benefits?, probably not but I’m sure the more I brew and my taste refines I’m sure I will. I’m quite lucky because my ambient room temperature does fall between the sweet spot of ale fermentation. But I’m sure as summer kicks and maybe I do a Lager the fridge will really come into its own. I also have peace of mind with the inkbird doing it’s thing, I’m not checking on my brew every hour like it’s a new born baby. And it was fun to convert it !, I had a real sense of achievement. So if you’ve got the room for one and the cost is not a problem then Id say get one kitted out .
Cheers, I'll have a look on YouTube aswell. I'm planning on putting it in the cellar among with any other equipment I buy. All I've got to do now is find a place to put all stuff I've put in celler over the years. 😁

Other options for fridges:

Facebook - Look for local Freecycle groups
Facebook Marketplace
Gumtree
Ebay

I had set aside a day to convert the fridge but I was done in about 30 mins. It's super easy as long as you don't poke a hole through somewhere you shouldn't. There are planty of folks here who have converted one and can provide as much detail as you need.

If you're are inclined for shiny, techy gadgets, the Inkbird 308 wifi is a nice bit of kit. If you have Alexa* or Google Home you can link them up and control them from your phone / device / voice

* I don't have Alexa, but I assume you can control it the same way as you can via Google Assistant

this might be a very stupid question but i'll ask anyway.
Does the fridge need to work to be able to use it? Could you use the heater and ink bird and still control the temperature?

Other options for fridges:

Facebook - Look for local Freecycle groups
Facebook Marketplace
Gumtree
Ebay

I had set aside a day to convert the fridge but I was done in about 30 mins. It's super easy as long as you don't poke a hole through somewhere you shouldn't. There are planty of folks here who have converted one and can provide as much detail as you need.

If you're are inclined for shiny, techy gadgets, the Inkbird 308 wifi is a nice bit of kit. If you have Alexa* or Google Home you can link them up and control them from your phone / device / voice

* I don't have Alexa, but I assume you can control it the same way as you can via Google Assistant
Sounds good. I've just looked on YouTube and found a good video by the malt Miller. Looks easier than I thought. Defo gonna try to make one. Cheers

That Video was the one that convinced me of how easy it was to make a fermentation fridge, and i now have two, one for conditioning bottles etc and one for fermenting which has allowed me to increase homebrew productionclapa

Back