Do I need a second bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Forster

Reaction score
Hi all,

thanks in advance for any help, done a few cider brews but currently on my first go at wine. Thing is one of the steps says transfer to another bucket but is that absolutely necessary?
I have added the instructions incase that helps!
Many Thanks

Attachments

• 2E71BADF-DD3D-4BF9-9283-19B31C0D7F0C.jpeg
    2E71BADF-DD3D-4BF9-9283-19B31C0D7F0C.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 49F123D1-C1F3-4B44-820D-3D335CDBB91F.jpeg
    49F123D1-C1F3-4B44-820D-3D335CDBB91F.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 47
Depends if you want cheap plonk or a nice tipple. It's not absolutely necessary. It may cause off flavours if you don't and it might end up cloudy. Anecdotally I left a cider that I forgot about in the demi John for 6 months on the yeast material. It tasted "alright". If i was you I'd follow the advice and get another FV. it's always good to have another one anyway

So, bought the second bucket and de gassed by doing bucket pour to bucket. Have done the next few steps but....there are no timescales on them so I was wondering, based on the second page, how long does it need to be in the second bucket for before bottling? And also can I drink once bottled or have to wait again?!

Attachments

• 5565E6CA-B2C5-48A7-937E-DD8D6B69B32C.jpeg
    5565E6CA-B2C5-48A7-937E-DD8D6B69B32C.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 46
So, bought the second bucket and de gassed by doing bucket pour to bucket. Have done the next few steps but....there are no timescales on them so I was wondering, based on the second page, how long does it need to be in the second bucket for before bottling? And also can I drink once bottled or have to wait again?!

I cannot read that but with all the kits ive made it usually takes 48 hours to clear after that you can bottle, then its up to you how long you want to age it i have found the cheaper kits don't improve much with ageing so i don't bother.

Thankyou that’s good news! I’m Guessing if I want to make it sparkling I would need to secondary ferment then clear again?!

Upon researching it seems if I wanted to make it sparkling I shouldn’t have added the stabiliser so looks like a no go for sparkling?!!

To be honest making sparkling wine is a bit of a pita as you then have to think about bottles that will hold pressure etc.

Latest posts

Back