Do you remember.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going round the building sites in the evening collecting the empty corona pop bottles to return to the shop.
We used to spend the bus fare home at lunchtime on sweets then after school climb over the fence at the corona depot on douglas rd, grab an empty or 2 from a crate and get the deposit back from the nearest shop and get the bus home, could have ended up in borstal lol

Remember when if you drove a Skoda people would laugh at you - (Skip to 1:00 to cut out all the ****)

ahem.. I ended up on page 3 of the sun because a was clocked at 93mph in my skoda 130GL

I was doing 109 in my green GL
bombing along going faster than hell
then a hill ahead was what I did see
and it slowed my down to just 93.

then in my rear view mirror not a pretty sight
was a blue jam sandwich with a flashing light
he pulled me up and my life flashed past
when he told me my car was going too fast.

Now bmw's and jags I no longer pass
cos the fuzz caught me kicking some serious ass
there's a moral to this story that I want you to know
skoda's are fast cos they sure can go.

(c) skoda rap - me

I was doing 109 in my green GL

It might have been able to do 109 but they were not popular for obvious reasons -

1617456971858.png
1617457018879.png

1617457054023.png

IMG_1578.JPG

My first car was this Austin Seven. It cost my Dad £55, was 7 years older than me, had a three-speed ‘crash’ gearbox, and we called it ‘Tweetie Pie’ - after the little bird on a Mel Blanc record in the hit parade at the time.

At secondary school having a slide rule. Before that we had log books (logarithms)
I still have my sliderule "British Thornton" and remember well the log tables.
Sliderule could be mid 1970's and, though very little used, is a beautiful historic relic.
It is kept along with some imitation Isle of Lewis Chess pieces and a mechanical chess clock.

Nobody seems to have mentioned:
  1. Bonfire Toffee. My Mam's was so hard it was only breakable with a hammer and produced razor sharp corners that would cut into gums like a hot knife through butter. It tasted mainly of black treacle and never took on the taste or texture of a real toffee (i.e. buttery and stick to your teeth)! I've attached a recipe that uses a thermometer; a thing Mam never possessed as she used a cold saucer to tell her when it was "done"!
  2. Simnel Cake. Again, a concoction of my Mam's that was always brought out on Easter Sunday as a treat. This time I've added a link to a "simple" version because the one that Mam made was knocked up from whatever she had in the pantry at the time; and if it was served on Easter Sunday it was called "Simnel Cake"! For some reason (although not included in any recipe that I've seen on t'Internet) it always tasted of ginger!
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/bonfire-toffee
https://www.easypeasyfoodie.com/easy-simnel-cake-traybake/
Enjoy!

I remember my dad changing our aerial wire to get 625 lines on the telly instead of 405 lines. The difference was like normal telly to 4K today.
I was only a tiddler at the time so it might be a false memory but I think it was so we could receive bbc2.
What I do remember is I was amazed how thick the aerial wire was compared to the old one.

ah yes, the switch from vhf to uhf transmission. Had to replace the old H-shape aerial with one with more elements. Made you realise how bad 405-line was!

Do you remember when the only things carried on Brewer’s Dreys and stored in pub cellars were wooden casks of beer, and the only carbon dioxide involved was that produced naturally by the fermentation process?

There was a faded advertisement for bottles of Plymouth Breweries’ Pale Ale, painted on the end gable of a building long-since demolished to make way for the Brittany Ferries Terminal, which I wish I’d photographed. The main selling point for them was “NOW YOU CAN DRINK IT ALL!” Probably dating from the late forties, it marked the beginning of processed beer, which had been filtered and pasteurised, leaving no dregs in the bottles. This change didn’t go un-noticed.

My Dad once told me that his two favourite bottled beers were Red Label Bass, and White Shield Worthington, which shows he had good taste as both were bottle-conditioned. When Bass announced they were discontinuing Red Label and just producing Blue Label (which was processed), he was so upset that he painted a Black Ring around his beer glass as a sign of mourning!

Back