Do you remember.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't have one I preferred a racer, to be honest they were a bit **** they looked the part but you wouldn't want to go on a proper bike ride on one.

At least you have the correct chopper photo & not the awful remake with a split seat.

From what I remember of riding my friends, they were heavy & not very stable or comfortable to ride. And being 70's British made, they went rusty if you left them in the garden when it rained.

Anyone remember "Tusker Work Boots" from around 1962? If they wore out within a year the company swapped them for a new pair!

The pair I bought lasted a lot longer than a year and that was when I was "pounding a beat" as a Policeman! They were also pretty comfortable and well worth the effort of hanging on to the receipt "just in case".

However, the company had to withdraw the offer of replacement when a number of claims were put in after about nine months! Rumour had it that on each occasion the company discovered that at least three blokes had shared the same pair of boots to claim the free pair!

Looking back, I rather admire the people who put one over on the company concerned; but at the time I was so aghast at the thought of sharing my boots with someone else that I believed the rumour! Mea culpa!

I moved on to Doc Martens when my Tuskers finally wore out! In those days, you could have any colour Doc Martens, as long as it was black!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking back, I rather admire the people who put one over on the company concerned; but at the time I was so aghast at the thought of sharing my boots with someone else that I believed the rumour! Mea culpa!

How sad would you have to be to share a pair of mining boots just to get one over on a company.

I love this post about old units of measure that were crazy. So here's a few do you remember the following (3 groats to the winner)
1. How many old pennies to a Noble?
2. Your many chains to a furlong?
3. How many pounds to an imperial ton?
4. How many miles to a league?
5. At what temperature does water freeze in degrees F?
6. What temperature is absolute zero in degrees F
7. How many pints in a gallon?
8. How many BTU's in 1 horsepower?
9. How many Marks to the pound £?
10. Why does the US still use F, gallons, pounds etc?
2. 8 (I think)
5. 32F
7. 8
10. Not sure about how true this is, but I remember reading something about the guy who was taking the early metric system to the Americas being hijacked by pirates, so they never got the memo, hence still using imperial measurements

How sad would you have to be to share a pair of mining boots just to get one over on a company.

Maybe you've lead a sheltered life.

I think you would find that the men concerned may also have been living twenty to a two bedroomed house, sharing the sleeping accommodation and even "hot bunking" their beds (one out - one in) as well. It wasn't uncommon back in the 60's for migrants to live that way.

For myself, I remember being asked to share a bed with a total stranger in an Aberdeen Boarding House in the 1960's when the "Oil Boom" took off.

Luckily I was only staying for one night (booked in by a potential employer prior to an interview) and refused the landlady's request. However, I then had to spend the evening listening to the landlady muttering about losing money because I was "too fussy to share"!

Happy Days? Not always!

I think you would find that the men concerned may also have been living twenty to a two bedroomed house, sharing the sleeping accommodation and even "hot bunking" their beds (one out - one in) as well. It wasn't uncommon back in the 60's for migrants to live that way.

I stopped reading at way.

It's a shame you didn't explain this in the original post instead of making out they were just trying to screw the company I could have then saved the time and effort in replying to it.

Rumour had it that on each occasion the company discovered that at least three blokes had shared the same pair of boots to claim the free pair!

I don't like rumours!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back