Do you return your own glass?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Return your glass?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
A quick, not-very-scientific survey here to test a theory I have.

A simple question: when you are in the pub (any pub), you have finished a drink and are going to the bar for another, do you return your empty pint glass?

My other half always says that it's stupid and that "bar staff are paid to do this". But then, she's foreign and has no idea of how pubs actually work. :doh:
I have noticed that it seems to be something done in local pubs by more seasoned pub-goers: I will invariably return my glass unless I am having just the one in a very large pub and am sat miles from the bar.

Yes. Force of habit from working as a bartender for 2 years. I usually take any other empties from the table too.

It's also one of those little things that get you noticed by the bar staff at a busyish bar, getting noticed means getting served quicker:)

It depends, if we are on a good session we like to try and fill the table with empties, if not I tend to take them back up.

Normally, yes. But not always if I'm off to another pub. Depends how quiet it is.

On the odd occasion I find myself in a McDonald's however, I rarely empty the rubbish in the bins though.

A. It's a restaurant FFS
B. I don't want to encourage them to put bins next to the table at which I 'dine'

I'm officially middle aged :roll:

Like HM having worked a bar I always return my glass. And clear the table of others if we are all leaving . The only time I don't is if the bar is three deep and no obvious place to return them to. :cheers:

yes and always ask for a fresh glass as some of my locals are happy to serve you all night with the same one :sick:

Yes, force of habbit from my early drinking days... If you put a used pint glass in to the bar mans hand when you order your drink he would never ask for ID..... :lol:.

I don't like the argument of leaving your glass / rubbish on a table for somebody to clean up "if I move it then im taking their job from them" etc

Definitely yes. I does no harm to walk back with a glass. But I am afraid the ' that's what the staff are paid for' attitude is yet another example of how bad this country has got. Just my opinion.

PUB = yes
CLUB = no

if i am drinking bottles i never take them back pub or club(dont know why now i think about it)

graysalchemy said:
Definitely yes. I does no harm to walk back with a glass. But I am afraid the ' that's what the staff are paid for' attitude is yet another example of how bad this country has got. Just my opinion.

What dose a glass collector do if we all take them back, he go's to the job center :D

you tuck his JOB!

Never worked behind the bar but always take the glasses back to the bar even when leaving. Never occurred to me I was doing someone out of a job. Just thought it was courteous.

dave0w said:
graysalchemy said:

What dose a glass collector do if we all take them back, he go's to the job center :D

you tuck his JOB!
He serves beer, as he was employed to do.
Used to work as bar/waiting staff for a 400 seater venue so know how annoying it is to have to go around picking up everyone's glasses. i.e. I always take my glass (and generally the rest of the tables) when I'm going back to the bar, or when I've finished, also have a habit of taking my plate back in a pub I've got food at, occasionally get an odd look for that one :lol:

Brewtrog said:
dave0w said:
graysalchemy said:

you tuck his JOB!

NO! when i was a lad 17/18 my friend was a glass collector on a weekend if there is was a slow night they sent him home and did it there self. he was a glass collector not bar staff.

Brewtrog said:
Not always, some pubs (used) to employ pot collectors, they were/are not bar men/women.

Sometimes I do sometimes I don't.

When buying rounds I don't clear the table of the empties and queue up for the bar holding them, but I might take my own, there are usually empties on the table as not everyone will have finished theirs when a fresh pint arrives.

I certainly don't bother to try to reach a busy bar when leaving, just to deposit a glass or 3.

If its quiet then I do return my empties to the bar as I go, but generally when a pub is busy there is someone out glass collecting most of the time.

yup I always take the glass (glasses) back to the bar, I used to work in pubs so it is force of habit and secondly I am clumsy as **** so the less glass on the table to get broken the better :lol:

All depends on the pub. If it is a nice friendly pub then I take my glass back. If it's a busy mega pub like a big wetherspoons I tend not to bother.

Back