Do you scrape off the pre-boil foam?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowcrow

Landlord.
Reaction score
I never bothered to before, but sure I saw it in a video, that people remove the pre-boil foam for 'reasons'.

Do any of you do that? What benefits does it provide?

I've tried it this time, and took loads off - no idea if my beer will be better or worse but keen to know the theory behind it.

Cheers!
IMG_20210903_094253.jpg

Last edited:
I skim off the stuff that starts to appear as a sort of thick/creamy layer when you get into the mid 90s.... For no other reason than Foxbat said he does it and hes my clear beer guru. In general I have problems with the amount of trub going to the FV, and previous brews seen some of this fiand its way to bottles. I suspect my general technique surrounding bottling is just more robust now, but this was one of the things I started doing. Will probably keep doing so, it costs zero extra time

I don't normally skim but I do if I'm making a low hops beer as otherwise the hot break **** blocks the filter and it's a pain to get the beer out of my boiler when that happens.
It doesn't affect the flavour at all. Best time to skim is just before it starts boiling as you get a nice easily removable crust without too much foam.

I do, read somewhere it can add to bitterness and astringency which I certainly don't want. Maybe a waste of time but it doesn't take much time or effort so i'll continue.

I have not, but since coming to the desert I've had more issues with that foam boiling over as extract is added. (Causes issues with my gas cooker.)

What do folks use to skim it off? Just your stir-paddle?

I put in the bittering hops at First wort and stir everything back into the wort thereafter.
At first, I used to skim the "stuff" off, but stopped when I saw a David Heath video advising that it was all part of the process, or some such.

I skim it off - the reason if it is removed it is less to make the beer cloudy. I know it should drop out when chilling but strange things happen with beer and it may not drop out all of time so I remove the chance

I have not, but since coming to the desert I've had more issues with that foam boiling over as extract is added. (Causes issues with my gas cooker.)

What do folks use to skim it off? Just your stir-paddle?
I use a small nylon sieve.

Latest posts

Back