Do you still live where you were born.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you still living in the same place you were born?

• I still live in the place i was born, i have lived here all my life.

• I live in the place i was born but did live elsewhere for a while.

• I don't live where i was born.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was reading the Peterborough posts earlier and it made me wonder how many members still live in the place they were born.

I have lived in the same town all my life and only moved to the house i now live in when i left my parents house to live with SWMBO.

Are you still living in the same place you were born and bred?

Please vote above.

For some reason I associate that phrase with people that grew up in a sh**hole.

I wonder where that association came from i have always known it to mean -
  1. by birth and upbringing, especially with reference to someone considered a typical product of a place.
    "he was a Cambridge man born and bred"

What sort of distance are we talking? I grew up in NW London and I now live SE London. Whilst I'm in the same city it takes me ~1h15 to get home by car or train, and many Londoners would consider this "moving out", but in the grand scheme of things I haven't moved country or anything.

I’m don’t think I qualify for any of the options because I wasn’t born and bred in the same place (assuming the generally accepted “bred” meaning brought up).

I was born in Durham, but moved to Dundee just before I turned 2. Apart from 3 years in Edinburgh in my early 20s I’ve lived in Dundee for the rest of my life (I’m nearly 38).

What sort of distance are we talking? I grew up in NW London and I now live SE London. Whilst I'm in the same city it takes me ~1h15 to get home by car or train, and many Londoners would consider this "moving out", but in the grand scheme of things I haven't moved country or anything.
You crossed the river so you move out😉

Liverpool (4years) >Billinge (14 years) >Salford (3 years) > Billinge again (3 years) >Ince (4 years) > Widnes (5 years) >Rutherglen (1 month) >Larbert (8 years so far).
Very much NW England until a sharp deviation to Scotland in 2014.

I think I have moved around so much I should be making and selling pegs! Lived and worked around SE Asia, rigs and mine sites, worked and lived in every state in Australia bar W.A.
Marriage helps in the settling down, though only just. Starting my own business placed me on a merry go round I couldn't get off, responsibility to employees the main factor.
Had I not got married and had sprogs then I would probably still be moving around, 4.5 hours flight time from my origins plus a 2 hour road trip.

I was born in Sidmouth, Devon. Since then I have lived in three different places in North Herts, three different places in London, Southsea and Portsmouth in the first 26 years. Then Cardiff for the last 35 years.

Born and bread in Kent. Uni in Coventry. 5 years in London and then went to Belfast with idea of staying there a couple of years.

That was 21 years ago and I’m still here!

I only lived where I was born (Reading) for 2 years; then moved about 90 minutes down the road to Wiltshire for the next 16 years. I consider that to be 'home' more so than the town I was born in.

I've now lived in the Midlands for 13 years, after a 3 year stint in Oxford for university (no, not 'that' Oxford university) so the town I was born in forms about 5% of my life.

Born in Essex and lived in Benfleet until I went off to Uni in Guildford, Surrey. I fully intended to return home after Uni.

I did a degree that had 2 years of study, year in industry, and then back for a final year of study. They found me a placement in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire. Where the hell is Tewkesbury thought the 20 year old me at the time. I got offered a job by the company I did the placement with at the end of my degree, thought I'd give it a few years to get some experience before moving on. Still working at the same place over 25 years later. Lived in Tewkesbury, then Cheltenham before finally settling in Worcester.

Back