Dodgy phone call/Identity fraud

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Reaction score
I just received a phone call on my mobile. Recorded voice saying my NI number had been compromised near the Welsh border. Then went on to say press "1" or we will start legal proceedings. At which point I disconnected. Probably wanted my NI number.

The depressing thing is that some people most fall for these or they wouldn’t keep it up (for me it seems to be fake calls claiming I am under investigation by HMRC) which no doubt I can make go away with HMRC’s new preferred payment platform Western Union or similar.

I regard any call using a recorded message as a scam. Every call I receive from an unknown number, I pick up but say nothing for 3 seconds, if its from an autodialler, it will usually hang up automatically. If its a real call I just apologise and say I was just finishing something.

Report it to ofcom or the information commissioners office, they have a file open on these scamsters.

If anyone gets annoyed at these if you get some free time check out Jim browning on youtube, he is obviulsy a hidden identity and he hacks into these centres and foils them and brings them down.

I just received a phone call on my mobile. Recorded voice saying my NI number had been compromised near the Welsh border. Then went on to say press "1" or we will start legal proceedings. At which point I disconnected. Probably wanted my NI number.
say the following in the first ministers (Mark drakeford's voice)

Because of this if you enter Wales, there is no NHS treatment for you, and you will have to pay WAT (Welsh added tax) at 60% for anything you buy if you're not welsh. plus you are not allowed to stay in wales ever. How dare you for even being anywhere near our lovely country.

I never give my mobile number out so never get calls from people i don't know i also have a free call screening service on my home phone since setting it up over 12 months ago we haven't had a single sales or scam call.

Because of this if you enter Wales, there is no NHS treatment for you, and you will have to pay WAT (Welsh added tax) at 60% for anything you buy if you're not welsh. plus you are not allowed to stay in wales ever. How dare you for even being anywhere near our lovely country.
I'm half Welsh as my mother was Welsh. Would have been born in Wrexham but for my mother having Jaundice so was born in Chester. So I'll get to pay half of the taxes.

I never give my mobile number out so never get calls from people i don't know i also have a free call screening service on my home phone since setting it up over 12 months ago we haven't had a single sales or scam call.
Automated recording, didn't mention my name, you would need to be stupid to fall for it but people do.

Automated recording, didn't mention my name, you would need to be stupid to fall for it but people do.

You are right CC.

Judging by the amount of these scams running there must be a lot of easy targets around as they wouldn't do it if it didn't pay well.

Yeah I have had this call too. I pressed 1 and gave verbal abuse to the guy down the phone who was trying to tell me he was from the fraud police. The real police know this scam btw.

there is another one I get all the time about investments. Best thing you can do is tell them to do one and block the number. Unfortunately these scum bags only need to dupe 1 person to make it worth their while.

Sturgeon would love to get away with the above.

Attachments

• E67EE78B-AC86-4291-9A7C-BC3C9FF6772D.jpeg
    E67EE78B-AC86-4291-9A7C-BC3C9FF6772D.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 109
I also got a dodgy text supposedly from my bank about an unusual payee request. Somehow the scammers have my phone number or its just automated call software.

I also got a dodgy text supposedly from my bank about an unusual payee request. Somehow the scammers have my phone number or its just automated call software.

I would say they have it and are sharing it, as i said i never give my mobile number to anyone unless i trust them (Bank etc) and have never got a call from a scammer or telemarketers. (i may of course just be a lucky sod)

I have had 2 calls from Officer Dennis of HM revenue asking me to phone his division and not to disregard his message. Even the computer generated voice was in an American accent :roll:

Some of these are very clever. I had a text message from my bank warning me of some suspicious activity on my account. It was actually a scam but I almost got caught out as the message came on the same thread as all the legitimate previous text messages I’d received from my bank.

Latest posts

Back