Does a tall, thin bottle clear slower than a short, fat one?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrCrinkle

Reaction score
Hi All,
I was wondering if the rate of clearing is linked to the depth of the bottle (or keg). Anyone tested the theory?

I mean I guess it does play a factor in everything dropping to the bottom. But I imagine it would need to be a considerable distance to actually be noticeable. Biggest beer bottle you are likely to get is probably the 710ml that you can get in supermarkets these days. There sell Coors and Bud in them. You could always package your beer in a 2L growler. That would be bigger again, I imagine.

The further yeast cells have to fall the longer they will take to settle out. However, in my experience since I often use clear PET bottles and can observe what is going on, as soon as the yeast has finished consuming priming sugar it is usually only a matter of a couple of days before the beer is more or less fully clear, irrespective of bottle size or shape. Getting to crystal clear will usually take longer however.

Getting to crystal clear will usually take longer however.
Funny how this doesn't seem to be an issue with corny kegs. I find my kegs run crystal clear after a few pours. And sometimes they have only been packaged a couple of days prior.

Does a long, cool woman in black dress sound better than a short, fat one?
In fact I reckon if the Hollies had sung "short, fat woman in a onesie", the song would have sounded just as good. Eat your heart out Mr Fogerty.

Latest posts

Back