Does anyone remember...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No mention of Black Velvet there -1 to rep ;) I tend to find these days though, lager drinkers are of three types. Type 1 - the person who will do anything to 'fit' in with his/her peers. Type 2 - the person who has known nothing else but is too afraid to try something new to them ie everything else and does not want to appear to be flouting the 'rule of societal law' - rofl at duh you wanna drink alcoholic lemo upps lemonade then sure go ahead. Type 3 - the person that enjoys real ale but would never admit it in public lol

There's still a sham about beer drinkers these days in pubs. In the old days yer bloody drank what yer drank and to hell with anyone else. Now it's oooh look at him/her and what she's drinking and they aren't drinking what we are therefore they are weird. Errr ..... That stuff has no place on this forum and no place in pubs and certainly not any place in society. So much change in society at the moment, nothing has pride of place. But I will say this, back in the day, you could tell the person and who he/she was by what they drank and they were proud of drinking it. But enough about lager. Gimme more stories xD

I absolutely love Lager, and it's always my drink of choice.

I like real ales too, I like stouts, I love a good wheat beer. I've drank different local beers all over the world, i love to try new and different beers.

I'm the kind of guy who generally drinks something different on every round if there's a good selection of real ales, and often if there is not.

Now, run on the mill lager should be appreciated for what it is. Crisp, clean and refreshing. That's a very difficult thing to achieve when making beer. Heavily hopped full bodied beer will cover up a multitude of sins. A clean light lager will not.

A really good lager, a proper full strength lager with its light body, gentle hop character and sharp but not over bitter taste - is a truly wonderful thing.

It doesn't mean I don't like or drink real ales, a good ale is also a wonderful thing - but given the choice I would go for a good lager.

Very few home brewers even attempt lager, and even fewer actually get it right.

If nothing else, there is sound logic in appreciation of a good lager as a brewer. Making good lager is less about the ingredients and more about good process control.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

I like real ales too, I like stouts, I love a good wheat beer. I've drank different local beers all over the world, i love to try new and different beers.

I'm the kind of guy who generally drinks something different on every round if there's a good selection of real ales, and often if there is not.

Now, run on the mill lager should be appreciated for what it is. Crisp, clean and refreshing. That's a very difficult thing to achieve when making beer. Heavily hopped full bodied beer will cover up a multitude of sins. A clean light lager will not.

A really good lager, a proper full strength lager with its light body, gentle hop character and sharp but not over bitter taste - is a truly wonderful thing.

It doesn't mean I don't like or drink real ales, a good ale is also a wonderful thing - but given the choice I would go for a good lager.

If nothing else, there is sound logic in appreciation of a good lager as a brewer. Making good lager is less about the ingredients and more about good process control.

My wife is a coors drinker and have just kegged a light lager with a thumbs up from herself.Clear and light and in the process of carbing up.Bear in mind that she normally makes a silly face as she does not like hoppy ales or stouts.

Ah, your recollection, Spratt, reminds me of Anglesey in the 1970s. A pub - can't recall the name - out towards the west coast of the island. As best as I recall, that was also run by two quite old sisters. It was basically a house. The rooms were mainly furnished by very old 3-piece suites, and the landladies brought the beer round in a jug. An experience! Hey - they kept the beer well, though.
Next best for me is Plymouth, 1976. I enrolled on a fish-farming degree at the Polytechnic. The nearest pub to the Poly was only a few minutes away, so it was a natch at lunchtime. Never has a pub been so misnamed. The "Grand Duchess" had absolutely none of the attributes that you might associate with the name! I think that they had a choice of 2 beers - each was in a barrel immediately behind the bar. So, no complicated delivery system with handpumps, CO2 or Autocrap. They just opened the tap and poured you a pint direct from the barrel. I wonder if the very first pint or two had any carbonation whatsoever. I seriously doubt it - I was in there often enough at lunch during my spell in Plymouth, and every time it was as flat as a pint of tapwater, just a lot browner!. But, it was very tasty beer, and they clearly shifted it fast enough so it never deteriorated. I've always had a problem with fizzy-pop beer since then!!

Black Velvet ... I recall one of my first holiday jobs (probably would not be legal now) was working in a local Chef & Brewer pub. I developed the knack of being able to serve a pint of (poor man's) Black Velvet from a half pint bottle of Guinness and a half pint bottle of Strongbow, both held in the right hand one between thumb and forefinger and other between forefinger and middle finger, without overflowing the pint pot!

Black Velvet ... I recall one of my first holiday jobs (probably would not be legal now) was working in a local Chef & Brewer pub. I developed the knack of being able to serve a pint of (poor man's) Black Velvet from a half pint bottle of Guinness and a half pint bottle of Strongbow, both held in the right hand one between thumb and forefinger and other between forefinger and middle finger, without overflowing the pint pot!
The trick with black velvet (the drink of my youth) is to pour the cider first, then vigorously degas it by stirring with a spoon before pouring the Guinness on top. Perfect pour every time!

I used to drink brown and mild as a youngster as bitter was too bitter for me at the time. Did anyone else drink it?
I used to drink the bitter because it was either StarLight or Trophy, neither of which had more than a passiong acquaintance with hops. The old codgers use to drink something called a boiler or boilermaker, especially a Mann's boiler. So obviously brown ale was one of the ingredients, but I can't remember whether the other was mild or bitter.

1BC2F937-E331-42F5-B4A4-D6C38B66EBBB.png

I also love a good lager on draught especially

.......the cost of a pint of mild at 1s 5d, and bitter at 1s 7d.
Can't be too many of us out there wink...

I think there will be very few! My first recollection of the price of a pint was 25p for a Greene King IPA in the College Bar, as long ago as 1977/8. As your bitter price works out at 8p, you must have drunk through the hyperinflation of the desperate 1970's and early 1980's.

Best prices I remember were 12p for Starlight in the Telstar Southampton and once, just once 9p for a pint of mild at the pub right next to the pedestrian bridge over the railway line in St Denys. Might have been the Junction, but can;t be sure.

I think there will be very few! My first recollection of the price of a pint was 25p for a Greene King IPA in the College Bar, as long ago as 1977/8. As your bitter price works out at 8p, you must have drunk through the hyperinflation of the desperate 1970's and early 1980's.
My beer drinking years have well exceeded half a century that's for sure. athumb..
And, unless I'm mistaken, I seem to remember mortgage rates being at 15% or thereabouts at one time in my lifetime probably in the late 1970s. ashock1

Phipps IPA and Ansells Bitter were both 1s 4d when I started at the local conservative club when I started circa 1961

Fish and chips and batter bits were 1s 3d at the same time, and the local corner shop had a pick and mix sweet tray with all items one farthing...........

Back