Quantcast

Does filtered beer contain yeast?

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
Might sound like a dumb question but I've just been given a box of beer from a local brewery with about 2 gallons of beer left in it. I know it'll start tasting pretty lifeless soon so I was wondering if I could just prime it and bottle what's left. I know they filter their beer but does that remove all the yeast?

BREWERS DROOP

Landlord.
Reaction score
I did a brew once with a 1 micron filter for bottling,it wasn't good, so i would think it would remove the yeast, otherwise i would have had good carbonation, which i didnt

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
Cheers, guys. I suppose I could always chuck in a bit of dried yeast as well as priming sugar. It's actually not bad beer (dark heart 5% by Mantle brewery, Cardigan).

Wouter

Reaction score
Cheers, guys. I suppose I could always chuck in a bit of dried yeast as well as priming sugar. It's actually not bad beer (dark heart 5% by Mantle brewery, Cardigan).
Best not to do that with just any yeast. The yeast may be a different strain than the one they used and therefor gobble up some extra sugars ;), making your bottles go kaboom!

Better to use special bottling yeast! For instance SafAle F-2.

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
Have a BBQ or the like get some people round and make them drink it...it'll keep them off your supplies.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score