Does filtered beer contain yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
Might sound like a dumb question but I've just been given a box of beer from a local brewery with about 2 gallons of beer left in it. I know it'll start tasting pretty lifeless soon so I was wondering if I could just prime it and bottle what's left. I know they filter their beer but does that remove all the yeast?

I did a brew once with a 1 micron filter for bottling,it wasn't good, so i would think it would remove the yeast, otherwise i would have had good carbonation, which i didnt

Cheers, guys. I suppose I could always chuck in a bit of dried yeast as well as priming sugar. It's actually not bad beer (dark heart 5% by Mantle brewery, Cardigan).

Cheers, guys. I suppose I could always chuck in a bit of dried yeast as well as priming sugar. It's actually not bad beer (dark heart 5% by Mantle brewery, Cardigan).

Best not to do that with just any yeast. The yeast may be a different strain than the one they used and therefor gobble up some extra sugars ;), making your bottles go kaboom!

Better to use special bottling yeast! For instance SafAle F-2.

Latest posts

Back