Does this look ok for cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I made cider from apples and pears and left it to ferment on its own, I haven't added any yeast. If I saw this on TC or beer I'd think the batch is bad, but want to check with cider from apples:

IMG_20181010_185837.jpg
IMG_20181010_185845.jpg

There are some apple and pear chunks floating around in there.

I'd go by what it smells and tastes like before making a judgement ...

... but I have to ask "Why didn't you use a cider yeast?"

Wild yeasts are notoriously "iffy" so it's very much in the lap of the Gods as to what you will produce!

I'd go by what it smells and tastes like before making a judgement ...

... but I have to ask "Why didn't you use a cider yeast?"

Wild yeasts are notoriously "iffy" so it's very much in the lap of the Gods as to what you will produce!

It's quite common, or so I've read to use the yeasts of the apple. I need to sacrifice a beer filled goat to Ninkasi in hope the fermentation will go my way.

A white layer floating on beer is usually wild yeast i think. So my guess is your brew might be ok. Leave it to ferment out then give it a taste - if it's like drinking battery acid, that's just normal cider...
Just joking, but only a bit.
:laugh8: reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend about making TC:

-I find I can get away without being as strict on sanitisation when I make TC than with beer.
-Oh, why is that?
-Probably cos cider tastes like sh*t to begin with.

For slow fermenting cider with no yeast I would always try and use a narrow necked vessel that is almost full, to minimise the risk of oxidisation....

Back