Does this need skimming?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apols for cross-posting from my brew-day thread.
Normally I follow the rule of "don't mess with the FV" but this is one ugly looking sucker...
Despite it looking like cauliflower cheese that's been under the grill for too long it's a spiced ale that's been fermenting for 3 days at 15ºc with S-04. The wort had about 1.5tsp grated nutmeg in it.

What do you think - should I skim it?
tempImageKNmCGF.jpg

Personally I’d leave well alone. Anything in that has come from the beer so won’t do any harm going back in. I rather suspect a fair bit of the toastiness is from the nutmeg - which does oxidise quite rapidly. That’s why nutmeg is sold whole and grated fresh as the cut part reacts with air and goes dark. It’s also why the first grating of a part grated nutmeg should be discarded if using to flavour cakes/ mashed potatoes. Probably more relevant to cooking though.

I was watching a TV show the other day where someone died from a nutmeg overdose... :D

You have to ingest a hell of a lot, though.

Didn't know that about nutmeg! I've used nutmeg today in a great big batch of mincemeat,the sweet variety for Christmas mince pies.
Well that’s what my Mum taught me … just checked and looks like she was right:
“BBC good food web site” said:
Store it
Once opened ground nutmeg deteriorates quickly, losing it sharpness and freshness and becoming increasingly soapy. Even if kept cool, dark and dry it’s at its best only for a week at most.

Whole nutmegs last for many, many months, years perhaps. The grated surface will oxidise and lose freshness, so always scape this away before adding freshly grated nutmeg to anything.

Latest posts

Back