Does your beer make you Fart?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you could add some sulfites (wine stabiliser) to kill any yeast after conditioning has done its job.

I bought some cheap french lager from ASDA not so long ago. I was after the 250ml 'stubbie' bottles rather than the beer. I can safely say they farts after drinking that were the worst in my entire life. They could have stunned a rhino. Mrs MQ was not best pleased asad.

A supper of curried baked-beans and grilled pork sausages washed down with a gallon of home-brewed Guinness never fails.
(Baked beans are not the full shilling over here, but a tin of cassoulet- seasoned to taste with curry powder- does the job just as well).

Maybe you could add some sulfites (wine stabiliser) to kill any yeast after conditioning has done its job.
I don't think that's the issue. I reckon it isn't the yeast that causes the farting, it's the sulphur compounds that the yeast leave behind in the beer that does it

Can't see fart effects listed anywhere in the whitelabs specs asad.
Nope, but there are clues:
WLPO Burton yeast: "A background sulfur note is common with this strain". Sulphur = "rotten eggs" = extremely pungent farts in my experience.
But yes, you're right, it would only be fair if yeast suppliers included a "fart index", alongside attenuation and alcohol tolerance, for their products!

I always understood it was due to the amount of unfermentable sugars in the beer being metabolised in the gut. I see The Malt Miller sells an enzyme alpha glucosidase to reduce unfermentable sugars, while there a product called Beano which contains alpha galactosidase to do the same job and exists specifically to reduce farts. https://www.beanogas.com/
I came across this piece of arcane knowledge when Hop and Grape of Darlington did a paper catalogue and were selling Brupaks Dry Beer Enzyme, which they compared to Beano.

I always understood it was due to the amount of unfermentable sugars in the beer being metabolised in the gut. I see The Malt Miller sells an enzyme alpha glucosidase to reduce unfermentable sugars, while there a product called Beano which contains alpha galactosidase to do the same job and exists specifically to reduce farts. https://www.beanogas.com/
Interesting! Indeed it does make sense - complex carbohydrates fermenting in the gut should produce farts.
But, for me, this overlooks the critical matter of the quality of the fart. Duration and loudness are clearly point-scorers here. But, in all seriousness, there can only be one overriding quality which determines fart quality. Smell. No sulphur, no smell (or, at least a mere whiff of something undefinable - possibly unpleasant but not of a room-emptying character). No, ladies and gents, if you seek to produce the ultimate in abominable gaseous emanations then make sure that you have a high-mineral wort (including lots of sulphates) coupled with a yeast that gives a sulphorous tang to the beer.
Mind you, if you're married, it might be wise to veer in the opposite direction....

I did one so bad tonight, the missus went into spare bedroom.
I would have as well but had to be proud.

I did a really weird and mega long one a few months back after drinking a couple of bottles of "not quite ready IPA" When the Mrs came in she thought I was cooking some meat (not a euphemism)!

Seriously was on the bus going to work and let one out slow and gentle bad mistake just at the end little explosion let's just say I'm not getting off this bus til it goes back around

On a serious note. (For the older men amongst us)
If you fart badly after peeing when you didn't in the past, it could be a sign of enlarged prostate & it could be a good idea to get checked out.
On another note what a great thread. :laugh8:

I had no symptoms and I found I had prostate cancer after a 'well man' check up at my GP.
It's only a blood test, so if you are on the wrong side of 50 stick your arm out and get a test.

No finger up the manhole, that's an extra service 😁

Sorry for the interruption, back to the farting 💥

Latest posts

Back