DOH.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have just put a 30 bottle wine kit on and for the first time ever put the fecking stabiliser in instead of the yeast (why they are the same colour and size sachets is beyond me) i have put the yeast in in hope it may start, has anyone any suggestions as to how i might save this.

Last edited:
I am sure somebody posted on here in the last week about that(they had made the same mistake) Chippy and the wine fermented a good search may find the thread

Deffo read it on here I can remember one of the members told him to write to the kit manufacturer to get another sachet of stabilizer

If you make up a starter, as big as you can, then you can add that - it might work slower because there'll be no growth phase after but what's in there will ferment the kit. I've made starters in a whole demijohn before. Crash the yeast out if you want.

Thanks I will give it a try.

I put my heat pad under it last night as I read it may help the lid is bulging slightly this morning so I am a little more confident more yeast may get it going if not I've only lost £25 gald it's not a £50 plus kit.

Last edited:
I have just put a 30 bottle wine kit on and for the first time ever put the fecking stabiliser in instead of the yeast (why they are the same colour and size sachets is beyond me) i have put the yeast in in hope it may start, has anyone any suggestions as to how i might save this.

Hi Chippy. Made the mistake myself of adding the stabiliser AND yeast at the same time, sterilising the yeast before it got going. I did a bit of research online about this and saved the wine. If you only added the stabiliser to the must and not the yeast and nutrient, then it will be easier for you - just let the must settle for a day or 2, carefully sealed in the FV. Apparently the K-sorbate only stops current fermentation from occuring, and the Na-sulfite which blows off co2 dissipated in the must clears up and settles after a day or 2. Add a pint of warm (room temp) apple juice (make sure it has no E202 or E223 preservatives), the yeast/nutrient packet and 2 tsp of sugar, covering with a permeable layer and letting it sit for a day to create a robust yeast starter, before adding.

If, like me you added the yeast/nutrient as well as the stabiliser then you will need to pop down the local brew store and get yourself a new 8g yeast pack - I used VR21, and some yeast nutrient. I added 1/4 tsp nutrient to yeast pack, pint of room-temp apple juice (make sure it has no E202 or E223 preservatives) and 2x tsp of sugar. Once this has been left for a day at room temp and showing life with foaming/fermentation add it to the mix. I found that the nutrient must've been destroyed as well by adding the stabiliser as it had a concentrated sulphur stink to it after an hour or 2 of adding, so once in the must in this scenario, also add a tsp of nutrient for every gallon of wine you're brewing. For me, the airlock kicked off after about 8/10 hours, at which point I removed the airlock and covered airlock hole with a clean cloth and taped it down securely.

Now have 5 gallons of wine ready to rack off into the 2nd FV @10.8% ABV.

Last edited:
@Chippy_Tea was it a Winebuddy kit with that crazy huge bag of yeast? If so there's a perverse amount of yeast and nutrient in that packet because they really don't want anyone to fail a fermentation and I wouldn't be surprised if it worked anyway, just slower.

I have another kit ready to go on so I decided to rehydrate the yeast following the instructions below to save 24 hours and bin it if it doesn't work, I poured it in at 9 last night and its putting a single bubble through the blow off tube every second this moring, my fingers are crossed.

Update.

Getting a stream of approx 5 bubbles through the blow off tube with a second gap between each set of 5 (which is what i usually see when i haven't cocked it up) so things are looking good so far, i am keeping my fingers crossed this carries on and it doesn't finish early, i think i will be bringing my hydrometer out of its long retirement in a few days. :laugh8:

It was a Range store make your own.

I did do 3 of these (Rose) when I first came back to the HB fold. That yeast is just so aggressive, I cannot see any way it will not ferment out, once it is active.

Latest posts

Back