DOH.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have another kit ready to go on so I decided to rehydrate the yeast following the instructions below to save 24 hours and bin it if it doesn't work, I poured it in at 9 last night and its putting a single bubble through the blow off tube every second this moring, my fingers are crossed.

I always rehydrate my yeast now. Gives a better brew in my honest opinion, no matter what you are brewing. The sinking of it in my last wort was rather worrying but it kicked off more than fine at 23C and 7 hours in ;)

I have just put a 30 bottle wine kit on and for the first time ever put the fecking stabiliser in instead of the yeast (why they are the same colour and size sachets is beyond me) i have put the yeast in in hope it may start, has anyone any suggestions as to how i might save this.

https://homebrewanswers.com/guide-to-wine-making-kits/

Stabiliser: Wine stabiliser is added to the wine after fermentation to prevent re-fermentation in the bottle. Stabiliser is made from Potassium Sorbate and is stirred through the wine. A stabiliser won’t stop an active fermentation so must be added once fermentation is completely finished, prior to clearing and bottling. It will also help keep the flavour stable during long storage.

Looks like you've got to get a very vigorous fermentation going, somehow, and then add your "stabilised" wine to it little by little. I'm not a winemaker so can't really suggest the best way of doing that- perhaps start another kit and get it really going. The sorbate in the first one should stop it spoiling.
If anyone suggests boiling it, don't do it. The decomposition products are not good.

I had to make a blow off tube because of the vigarous fermentation I didn't know it was the yeast I just thought it was the way they are.

Still going like a steam train this morning.

Looks like you've got to get a very vigorous fermentation going, somehow, and then add your "stabilised" wine to it little by little. I'm not a winemaker so can't really suggest the best way of doing that- perhaps start another kit and get it really going. The sorbate in the first one should stop it spoiling.
If anyone suggests boiling it, don't do it. The decomposition products are not good.

Thanks but I didn't need to do that did you read post 18?

Late update.

It turned out fine and didn't seem to take any longer than when you use yeast instead of stabiliser. wink...

Latest posts

Back