Domestos Ultra White And Sparkle Bleach

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
I usually put my bottles in to soak in a weak bleach solution before bottling, just to make sure they are clean more than anything. If they were bleached in advance of brewday I will starsan them too. I usually use the cheap Asda bleach and then give it 3 rinses and I've never had a problem. During lockdown, in the panic buying phase, I went to the supermarket and no bleach on the shelves at all apart from the last two bottles of the expensive stuff, domestos ultra white and sparkle. Didn't think anything of it. Bleach is bleach right? Wrong! This stuff will not rinse off. I'm going to have to ditch the last three 25L brews, which all taste of bleach. The last batch I bottled, I thought it didn't look quite right, so I gave them 5 rinses and it still makes the enamel on your teeth fizz if you try and drink it!

Thought I'd let you all know in case anyone else makes the same mistake.

domestos.jpg

That's a shame. As you've found out to your cost you can only use thin bleach for bleaching things (or indeed making a no rinse solution)

If you ever find yourself in the same situation again, you can just 'oven' your bottles to santise them.

- Put the bottles in a cold oven and turn it on to 150C and leave them for about 40 mins. Turn the oven of and leave it to cool. You can then put a little cling film cap (or foil) on them to stop anything getting in them. Then store them away till bottling day. This is what I do

Yeah that stuff isn't just bleach, as you've found out the hard way. There's also soap and perfume in there, neither of which you want near your beer. The blurb says it's designed to stick below the water line, which is probably why it's difficult to rinse.

Not a bad idea with the oven MyQul. Thing is I'm not actually sure what to do with these bottles now, once I've ditched the beer. Do you think soaking them in a vinegar solution will get rid of this soapy perfume domestos? Don't want to have to throw the bottles.

Oxiclean soak and it'll probably not need it but then a bottle brush.

A metabisulphite solution will get rid of the chlorine, but I don't know about the other stuff. I'd maybe give them all a soak in oxyclean to see if that helps, it's good for getting rid of most things. You could try it with one bottle, then fill it with water, cap and leave for a few days, then taste it to see if it's still there.

Thanks both - I'll give oxyclean a try

is there a brand of oxiclean that doesn't contain perfume?

Last edited:
I use this stuff from Poundstretcher or Home Bargains or somewhere like that. Just check the ingredients for perfume.
81N2mVd.jpg

The good news is, it probably wasn't the enamel of your teeth fizzing, but calcium deposits starting to form plaque and tartar.....

But probably not the best way to clean your teeth!

So I soaked these bottles in a weak vinegar solution for 24 hours, then rinsed and soaked in warm water with campden tablets dissolved in for 24 hours, then rinsed and soaked in the same oxy active that Strange Steve uses. I used 2 tablespoons in 5 gallons.
Is this like bleach solution now, do I just tripple rinse on bottling day (tomorrow) and crack on with bottling or do I have to starsan after rinsing the oxyclean?

Just don't leave them soaking in oxyclean for too long otherwise it can leave a residue. Rinse with warm water then starsan before bottling.

Oh ****, I used a similar type of bleach to clean the demijohn last time I used it before I went to 5L water bottles, I'll be scared to use it again.

I just clean the demijons out with warm water and with a bit of fairy liquid, give them a scrub with the brush,rinse with warm water and the a final rinse with luke warm boiled water. Not had a problem so far although I have used brucleans and then rinsed with pre boiled water as well.

A weak sulphite solution will remove any residual smell or taste from the bleach (not nice) and further ensure sterility.

Latest posts

Back