Donny Earthling Ale: recipe based on a Wilko IPA Kit)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merrydown

Reaction score
A friend of mine was kind enough to gift me a can of Wilko IPA recently. I'd heard mixed reviews of tweak recipes based on this kit, so I was a little unsure of how to proceed.

I just made up my first all grain recipe which turned out well, so I thought I'd have a go at making my own first extract recipe based on this kit to see what I could manage.

I figured I could gift some of the ale back to him once I'd made it, so happy days either way.

The recipe I came up with is below. The result is a soft IPA perhaps headed in the amber direction and a smooth, clean flavour, gentle carbonation and a floral hoppy aroma. It is the sort of ale I can keep drinking, but at 6% I can't do it for long! It had a reasonable bitterness, perhaps a shade more than I'd choose on the aftertaste. It cleared really well.

I included some honey in the recipe and I think I can just detect the slightest note of it mingled in the floral aroma, but I might be making it up as I look for it!

tumblr_pkkkxmFSxs1r1xmgbo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkklkd6eDs1r1xmgbo1_1280.jpg

Stats
SRM:6.8
IBU: Unknown
ABV: 6% (1.052 – 1.006)
OG:1.052
FG:1.006
[Got: FG 1.006 ABV 6.0 (before dry hop FG: 1.014 - ABV:5 but then fermentation quickened])

#Ingredients
1.8Kg Can Wilko IPA
0.8Kg Granulated Sugar
0.4 Kg Dry Malt Extract Dark
0.35Kg Brewing Sugar – Dextrose
0.35Kg Honey
10g Citra / 20g Comet Hops Boiled 5 minutes / 1L Water then cooled with bowl in flowing tap waterbath.
Water to 23L

#Dry Hopping
38g Comet
7.5g Citra

#Yeast
Safale US-05 dry into wort

METHOD

• 1.8Kg Can Wilko IPA wash out with 1.25L hot water into fermenter
  • Add 3L or so cold water to fermenter
  • Boil granulated sugar in 300ml water for 5 minutes in saucepan
  • Add 1L Hot water to saucepan
  • Mix in sugars: Dry Malt Extract Dark, Brewing Sugar – Dextrose, Honey
  • Pour sugar mixture into fermenter when dissolved
  • Add 3L cold water to fermenter
  • Boil 10g Citra / 20g Comet 5 minutes / 1L water
  • Cool in sink then strained / squeezed hop tea into fermenter
  • Add Water to 23L checking temperature / adding boiled water to hit 20c-22c
  • Check OG adjusted for temperature
  • Aerate with drill degasser
  • Add Safale US-05 yeast dry onto the wort

Dry hopping

50g Comet / 10g Citra Hops.

---

17/10/18 11.00am Made Wort 1.052 at 24C

Added dry malt extract and mixed in.

Used drill to aerate wort as no activity seen.

Pitched when temperature in the fermenter was between 22c - 24c (core)

Malty aroma and a bit darker than the all grain IPA mk1 I just made.

19/10/18 11.00am Slight foaming on the surface at brewing temperature of 19C.

20/10/18 Krausen

22/10/18 Has been bubbling almost constantly since the evening of 20/10/18 Krausen hasn’t got particularly high, but fermentation is clearly continuing apace.

28/10/18 Put dry hops in tied bag with marble and covered in water at 75c. Once the water was almost all absorbed, put into fermenter. Beer at 1.014. Bubbling started again, apace!

03/11/18 Bottling day, SG: 1.006 ABV 6.0 Primed with 115g sugar made into a syrup with 200ml water.

Bottles kept in relatively warm kitchen to carbonate.

16/11/18 Moved bottles back into the garage to chill and condition.

That's That
The results as of 30/12/18 are pretty pleasant to drink as I say. It's not perfect though there is a hint of some complexity and nice hops considering the simple regime I thought.

I included my notes, as I am a beginner, I am always interested where people differ or find error.

I hope the recipe / process is of some use to somebody else as it isn't always easy to know where to go from a basic kit. I reckon I got a drinkable result here with a simple recipe :)

Latest posts

Back