Doom Bar party keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been asking visitors to bring me party kegs so I can refill them with my own beer. I used to do this in Poole and I generally know what I'm doing. However, I was given a keg of Doom Bar (horrible stuff, half of it went down the sink, but I did struggle manfully) and it has a different tap and top vent system. I can live with the tap, but I don't seem to be able to get the top vent out without damaging the can. has anybody any ideas on this before I resort to the nuclear option.
Many thanks in advance.

I assume you've used long nosed pliers wrapped in tape.
It's quite a different fitting to the one shown in the video. It's not a lift and twist to vent, it's simply lift. And there's no visible rubber seal to push the pliers into. I think I'll drill a hole in it and crack away the plastic, little by little until I see what's going on. I've got plenty of spares of the black rubber / red plastic type.
Thanks anyway.

Screw driver and hammer then
Got it out. There's no way this is meant to be removed and replaced as I had to utterly destroy it. I think I haven't distorted the filler-hole too much. I'll test it by fermenting some sugar solution in there. LESSON: Avoid Doom Bar if you want reusable mini-kegs, Adnams and Summer Lightning are great.

That Doombar is frightful stuff...
... a word of warning for those that feel this way ... I made the "Harvest Pale Ale" recipe from Greg Hughes' Home Brew Beer book last Autumn time, and it turned out very like Doombar :confused.: ... still got a few bottles left and struggling to get through it all to be honest.

But I suppose if there is anyone out there that likes the stuff ... they have a pointer to a clone recipe :?:

Cheers, PhilB

... a word of warning for those that feel this way ... I made the "Harvest Pale Ale" recipe from Greg Hughes' Home Brew Beer book last Autumn time, and it turned out very like Doombar :confused.: ... still got a few bottles left and struggling to get through it all to be honest.

But I suppose if there is anyone out there that likes the stuff ... they have a pointer to a clone recipe :?:

Cheers, PhilB
There must be someone who likes it as they make tons of the stuff. Give me a Watney's Party Seven anyday,

I had a few pints of this on a recent family night out there wasn't much choice at the bar and it was better than the bottled version I have had before, definitely not much of a recommendation coming from an x lager drinker with failing taste buds. :laugh8:

I really don't get it. Sure it's bland, boring, instantly forgettable. But is it honestly unpleasant? There is very little that I really dislike, either food or drink.

I really don't get it. Sure it's bland, boring, instantly forgettable. But is it honestly unpleasant? There is very little that I really dislike, either food or drink.

I think people resent that fact that it was aggressively marketed to push other beers off the bar, leaving it as the only, bland, cask ale in many pubs. The John Smith's smooth flow of cask, if you like.

I, like you, can drink most stuff. I had a party keg brought over from Blighty for which I paid the princely sum of £15 and, being a Yorkshireman, the most miserable and miserly of folk when it comes to wasting beer. There was nothing wrong with it, it hadn't gone off, it didn't smell of year-old haddock, it was just something I didn't want to drink; like stirring a tablespoonful of Bisto into a pint of warm water. I suppose that if there was nothing left in the house, I would have managed it.

Latest posts

Back