Doubble seal screw caps with glue!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puganded

Reaction score
Just embarking on my first wine kit,
Planing too reuse combination of : screw top wine,and water bottles.
Has anybody tried running a small beed of Hot Melt ,or Silicone glue , around the outside joint of the cap to double seal it?

You should not need to.

Wine requires a SMALL amount of air to mature,
Kit wines are not normally kept for decades.
A cork top with a lid (available from homebrew suppliers ) similar to the tops on sherry/port bottles is fine for a month or two.

I would also be wary of storing wine long term in plastic bottles,The alcohol and acid can leach plasticizes which could ruin the taste of your wine.
For me i can taste "plastic" even in fruit squashes from the supermarket.

Has anybody tried running a small beed of Hot Melt ,or Silicone glue , around the outside joint of the cap to double seal it?
If the seal's good, it should not need anything else.

You can't make a gas-tight seal more gas-tight!

Shrink caps, if they fit, although, I'd use traditional wine bottles.

No no no dude.

throw away the old caps and cut off the extra bit of the cap around the bottle.

Then go on eBay and buy some NovaTwist caps.

They are seriously the best option when you have screw top bottles. I got like 60. You can reuse them multiple times cos they keep the seal and they are real easy to use. Also they look tidy.

P.S, sterilise before use.

what like P.P.S is it? Anyway.

Don’t be putting glue near your wine, like ANYWHERE near. You spend ages making a nice wine kit now you wanna wave some Araldite or some **** near it?! Come on man, don’t be the kid who eats the glue paste.

Also, guys this is a wine kit. This clearly isn’t for long term storage. Ergo, the plastic screw top NovaTwist caps (oh yes you can practically feel the endorsement and the car bumper sticker here) are ideal. And they come in a wonderful variety of colours (yes folks, I did it again).

Last edited:
I think hot glue might mean you can't get the caps off without a champagne sabre!

Last edited:
Never reuse caps as you won't get a proper seal. Follow the advice above and always sanitise.

CWRW666
That's funny, I've been re-using caps since I started wine making again. Some of them must have done 10 times by now. Never had a bottle go off.

I am with CWRW666 here, i have use my Novatwist caps hundreds of times over and every one is still airtight.

I assumed they meant don’t reuse the original caps

You can reuse the original metal caps but as has been said some members have posted that the cap threads eventually wear and the caps do not seal properly.

Here is the full first post from the Novatwist thread -

The subject of reusing metal screw top wine bottles has been discussed many times in the forum, some members have posted that the cap threads eventually wear and the caps do not seal properly, Novatwist Plastic Screw Caps are a cheap reusable alternative. (available in several colours)

Novatwist caps - Novatwist is a smart, trendy and easy to use screw cap.

On sale here (these may not be the cheapest) - Novatwist Plastic Screw Caps For Wine Bottles - Silver - Pack Of 12

NovaTwist-Black-BVS-cap.jpg

Latest posts

Back