Double brew day and the Grainfather sparge water heater

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidHatton

Reaction score
As the title suggests I decided to try a double brew day, usually a normal brew day consists of my basic coleman xtreme mash tun and my 33 litre boil kettle and using only the domestic gas ring on the cooker.
After purchasing a sparge water heater I was tempted to see if it would save some time by staggering the brew cycles, so the swh would heat the initial mash water and once mashed in, set the swh to heat the sparge water.
The heater has allowed me to run all the mash water into the boil pot, first and second runnings, where as before I would have to heat the sparge water in my only pot. Yes, I could have simply bought a second smaller pot, but my cooker is a piece of s**t, as I rent privately.

I have wanted to limit the need for the hob, I mashed in, mashed out, started the boil going and re-filled the swh for second brew mash water, whilst this was happening I dumped the grains and thoroughly washed the mash tun and weighed out the grains. which took about 30 minutes, a few minutes later the swh was ready and keeping itself warm, that alone I think will streamline my brew days.

So as the second mash was resting, the first boil finished, wort was cooled and transferred into the fv, cleaned the pot just in time to take the first runnings from the second mash and off we go again.
I brewed 2 x 25-litre batches, first brew is a Citra pale ale and other was a Mosaic ipa both using Magnum as the bittering hop as I had it in the freezer.

All in all, about 11 hours of solid brewing with a few tea breaks somewhere amongst the steam and the malt dust, not a bad way to spend a saturday whilst the wife is away visiting family.

As the title suggests I decided to try a double brew day, usually a normal brew day consists of my basic coleman xtreme mash tun and my 33 litre boil kettle and using only the domestic gas ring on the cooker.
After purchasing a sparge water heater I was tempted to see if it would save some time by staggering the brew cycles, so the swh would heat the initial mash water and once mashed in, set the swh to heat the sparge water.
The heater has allowed me to run all the mash water into the boil pot, first and second runnings, where as before I would have to heat the sparge water in my only pot. Yes, I could have simply bought a second smaller pot, but my cooker is a piece of s**t, as I rent privately.

I have wanted to limit the need for the hob, I mashed in, mashed out, started the boil going and re-filled the swh for second brew mash water, whilst this was happening I dumped the grains and thoroughly washed the mash tun and weighed out the grains. which took about 30 minutes, a few minutes later the swh was ready and keeping itself warm, that alone I think will streamline my brew days.

So as the second mash was resting, the first boil finished, wort was cooled and transferred into the fv, cleaned the pot just in time to take the first runnings from the second mash and off we go again.
I brewed 2 x 25-litre batches, first brew is a Citra pale ale and other was a Mosaic ipa both using Magnum as the bittering hop as I had it in the freezer.

All in all, about 11 hours of solid brewing with a few tea breaks somewhere amongst the steam and the malt dust, not a bad way to spend a saturday whilst the wife is away visiting family.

Immense Brewday, mate. Much Kudos from me, as after 5-6 hrs, I am more than ready for watching the rugby and hitting the HB!

Latest posts

Back