Double Brew Day Sunday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phettebs

Landlord.
Reaction score
I needed to get two beers done quickly so I knocked them both out yesterday. I did a Belgian Red Ale which came out at 1.053 and an APA/IPA that came out at 1.059. These are both for a party but the people are all experienced HB drinkers so I thought I'd make them a bit stronger than the norm.

Both beers were recipes I came up with just before brewing them. For the red, I wanted a very malty beer with Belgian character. I normally only brew high gravity trappist beers (OG > 1.070) so this was new for me. I basically started with my Dubbel recipe and started substituting various malts. In the end, it was nothing like my Dubbel recipe. :-)

The APA was also new. I wanted a bigger malt backbone than my normal base recipe. I also cleaned up a few adjunct malts I had lying around. Altogether, it will have 6oz of hops. I bittered with Summit and then mixed some of my 2011 Cascade and Centennial stock together in a big bowl and then added an oz at 15, an oz at 10, an oz at 5, and an oz at 0. I'll then dry hop in the keg with 1oz of that mix. Should be a very nice beer!

Baz

Don't really know if I could pull myself through a double brew day since I'm usually pretty much done after getting just one beer on the go, so respect where respect is due... I'm not very familiar with reds but the APA/IPA thing sounds really nice! Hops hops hops, gotta love 'em!

gurtpint said:
I'm not very familiar with reds

Me either. I kind of made it up as I went. I wanted something not so high in abv that you could only have one but I still wanted that Belgian character. Might end up a total flop but it won't go to waste!

@Evanvine, welcome to "the hop vehicle."

Back