Double Drop - and more questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Litmus

Reaction score
Hi All,

so, I know most people use a fridge to ferment in because of the temperature stability it offers, however I have been on a number of brewery tours and the primary (Round) and Secondary (Conical) fermented they use rarely seem to be temperature controlled or am I missing something?

My next question is around primary and secondary fermenting. Let me say I'm a fan and I use buckets as rounds and I leave the ale there until the fermentation starts to slow and then I move a glass carboy. This is all very manual atm and I was planing to build a large wall mounted rack so, I could do the whole process via gravity. (other than initial pumping into the round). Clearly this wont fit into a fridge, however I was planing to build an insulated enclosure to stabilize the temperature especially in the winter months.

I then keg and bottle and condition in a fridge.

Anyone see me hitting problems?

thx L

Am I that guy at a party that has said something inappropriate? :D Does my question make sense?

Hi All,

so, I know most people use a fridge to ferment in because of the temperature stability it offers, however I have been on a number of brewery tours and the primary (Round) and Secondary (Conical) fermented they use rarely seem to be temperature controlled or am I missing something?

My next question is around primary and secondary fermenting. Let me say I'm a fan and I use buckets as rounds and I leave the ale there until the fermentation starts to slow and then I move a glass carboy. This is all very manual atm and I was planing to build a large wall mounted rack so, I could do the whole process via gravity. (other than initial pumping into the round). Clearly this wont fit into a fridge, however I was planing to build an insulated enclosure to stabilize the temperature especially in the winter months.

I then keg and bottle and condition in a fridge.

Anyone see me hitting problems?

thx L

I think you'll find that most professional FVs are double skinned with a cooling system (usually glycol) and insulation between the two skins. You can't see it but it's there.

I'd say that the second part of what you're thinking of doing is a hammer to crack a walnut.

By all means use a secondary, but just put the primary FV in an insulated enclosure, then transfer to a secondary which you then replace the primary in the enclosure with.

But if you like a project and have the room, knock yourself out!

This thread may be of interest regarding the enclosure: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=72142

I think you'll find that most professional FVs are double skinned with a cooling system (usually glycol) and insulation between the two skins. You can't see it but it's there.

I'd say that the second part of what you're thinking of doing is a hammer to crack a walnut.

By all means use a secondary, but just put the primary FV in an insulated enclosure, then transfer to a secondary which you then replace the primary in the enclosure with.

But if you like a project and have the room, knock yourself out!

This thread may be of interest regarding the enclosure: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=72142

OK, I see where you are going and that thread was useful. Funny enough I was planning to build a very similar insulated box and I have some of that foil tape lying around :D

Crazy a coke bottle provide such a differential.

Thanks for the info regarding commercial fermenters, I figured there had to be more going on there.

Time to K.I.S.S it a little haha!

Latest posts

Back