Down size 23 litre to 5 litre

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernuts

Reaction score
Hi
I'm fairly new to brewing jumped straight in to doing 5 litre AG brews to get a hang of the process. Now done 3 AG kits from Alesmith has all the ingredients and great to follow instructions. I brought a copy of homebrew beer by Greg Hughes and want to try some of the recipes (Great book) but need to convert to 5 litre size. Any help would be great. Thanks

Thanks for the replies
Not sure if its me but I can't find where I can convert in the recipe builder or am I looking at the wrong calculator? Just a thought can you just divide buy 23 and times by 5 to get the amount of grains / water needed or is that a bit simple ?

Thanks for the replies
Not sure if its me but I can't find where I can convert in the recipe builder or am I looking at the wrong calculator? Just a thought can you just divide buy 23 and times by 5 to get the amount of grains / water needed or is that a bit simple ?
That's what I would do. 5 liter batches are large enough to get proper boils and the like, so downscaling from 23 would be fine. Below 2 liters I think it gets unpredictable.
What would you do with the yeast? Because that might get tricky, to pitch EXACTLY 2.3 grams of yeast :/

Hi thanks I thought that would work I brought a set of jewelry scales that weigh very small quantity's in 0.01 gram increment's to use for the hops so would use them scales. Just divided a recipe up then back again and seems to work just fine. Gonna order up hopefully the ingredients and try one out from the book. Thanks again for the help.

You're welcome :)
From page 118 and up in your book (one of the classics) there's a series of nearly identical recipes, you could use them to try a few common hops, and finetune your brewing process too!

Good luck!

Great minds think a like it was them recipes I converted to 5 litre. Got 2 more grain kits to do then order up some grains etc and start fine tuning the brews. Hope to get my brick shed sorted to then move up to bigger volumes and keep swmbo happy !!

Would love to but at the Mo nowhere to put larger size / volume but when the sheds sorted will have plenty of room for bigger brews. Just need to clear it out lots of stuff in there to shift and all the recycle sites near me closed due to pandemic.

Tried that lol they hoofed it back with more of there cr@p !! No beer for them when I scale up!!!

I've got the brewfather app on phone u can search for recipes that people have written and will scale them to what you want I'd think you could type your recipe in save it them scale it dien

Latest posts

Back