"Down Under" Hop & Hop Combos

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrannBrew

Damo Brann
Reaction score
I've recently got some new brewing kit, stepping away from the basic biab style setup I had now with a separate mash tun and ss brewtech kettle.

Being loving Verdant's take on IPAs recently since a trip to falmouth a few weeks back , like a NEIPA style hazy and fruity ipa.

I wanted to do a brew similar style that uses hops from either Australia and/or New Zealand. Ive used Galaxy alot in the past and usually its my go to hop but fancied using other hops.

Is there a good hop combo & ratio using only Australian and New Zealand hops?

Have people had experiences mixing vic secret, enigma and ella together or experiences using them individually, are they any other alternatives from the 'new world' region I should look into.

I haven't built the mash profile yet but thinking of using golden promise and oats similar to what verdant use.

Worth trying Nelson Sauvin, it's quite potent and can dominate hop blends but IMO good as a single hop or blended 1:3 with Motueka, or Riwaka when it's available, or both! Motueka is a good blending hop and would combine well with Aussie hops too. NZ Cascade (now called Taiheke) is a good blending hop too and a bit different to US Cascade but you'd want to heavily feature a more tropical hop with it to make a decent NEIPA. Like some other hops these days Nelson Sauvin harvests vary but at its best it can be up there with the big boys like Galaxy.

I have hit upon a great combo, Southern Cross for bittering and then Galaxy as the 10 and 5 minute addition...cracking beer. I have done various combo such as Wai-it’s and Motueka but they didn’t really stand out as much as the SC and G mix.

Latest posts

Back