Dried elderberry port

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelper

Old Salt
Reaction score
I'm going to have a go at an elderberry port.

500g dried elderberries
1,900g granulated sugar
1L purple grape juice.
yeast
yeast nutrient
pectolase
citric acid

This is double the amount of berries that I use for a red wine.

The yeast is Coobra Turbo 48 extreme 21%.

Should I add any other fruit? I have not received the yeast yet so I don't know what special instructions it may give. I'll use a water bath, aquarium heater and Inkbird to keep the temp steady. I plan to split this between two demijohns initially in case it gets lively.

for one gallon, never break the one kilo rule is far better to add more later but not this much at the front end.

personally for my port i would want a much higher berry content, your recipe is just elderberry wine

i would buy a buy of frozen mixed forest berrys from asda or the local tescos, as they are frozen the cell walls are broken down when defrosted, a kilo bag,plus the elderberries, instead of water to top up i would aim at a grape juice red or a again a mixed red berries juice.port does not have a strong nose, if you drop that lot in a bucket, defrost and mash it up, take an sg reading, any where from 1070 to 1100 will do. ferment on the berries for 3 days, stir alot and beat some air into it. drain into a demi john and top up to the top with water, leave for three months, by that time you should be down to sg 1000 ish, in that case add more sugar 50gm at a time and keep going untill the yeast gives up due to alc, roughly 20%ish, when it stays ar sg 1015-1025 depends on how sweet you like port, kill the yeast and sweeten to taste

Thanks HRP. Dried elderberries seem to be very concentrated relative to the same weight of fresh. Just 250g produces a deep, full-bodied red wine. I might add some frozen blackberries - good suggestion. 1kg of sugar plus grape or apple juice has given me a 15% wine. And it was dry, which I like. So I think I will compromise and just add 1,500g of sugar. If it's any good I will post you a wee bottle!

if you want strong alc for port go for little and often and feed the sugar, more than 1300gm and if the yeast is not on it you can struggle with a stuck ferment

the more berries the better, the more flavors and better feel to it, stuck for fruit try adding tea bags, twinnings herballlforest fruits are brilliant and not a sugar additive either, a great way to add complexity but without adding a sugar content to the must, ferment on the bags whole 6 bags for an addition and 12 for its own wine

Thanks HRP. Dried elderberries seem to be very concentrated relative to the same weight of fresh. Just 250g produces a deep, full-bodied red wine. I might add some frozen blackberries - good suggestion. 1kg of sugar plus grape or apple juice has given me a 15% wine. And it was dry, which I like. So I think I will compromise and just add 1,500g of sugar. If it's any good I will post you a wee bottle!

forgot to say, pretty well all my wine is 14% and upwards, ports i try for 20%+ 25% is average as highest

I'm going to have a go at an elderberry port.

500g dried elderberries
1,900g granulated sugar
1L purple grape juice.
yeast
yeast nutrient
pectolase
citric acid

This is double the amount of berries that I use for a red wine.

The yeast is Coobra Turbo 48 extreme 21%.

Should I add any other fruit? I have not received the yeast yet so I don't know what special instructions it may give. I'll use a water bath, aquarium heater and Inkbird to keep the temp steady. I plan to split this between two demijohns initially in case it gets lively.
I'd add bananas and raisin too.

Hedgerows advice about the sugar is correct.

Turbo yeasts are not very good for wine,you could do better there.

They tend to produce off flavours,( not important for what they are normally used for:D)

A true port yeast will get you to 16%+

There are also other proper wine yeasts that could get you even more than that.

I am thinking of starting a high alcohol thread as there seems to be quite a few members interested.
It is however rather technical and would be somewhat long winded as there are a huge number of factors to take into account.

I am thinking of starting a high alcohol thread as there seems to be quite a few members interested.
It is however rather technical and would be somewhat long winded as there are a huge number of factors to take into account.
we used to get some great fun high alc yeasts in the 1980's from the labs in the magazines, i think we are limited to 25% and below now. I think far to many people think you put all the sugar in at the beginning and do not realise you have to feed the yeast so not to strain it. most yeasts dont like 1100 and above as a starting point

Yes mine is still bubbling from last feed, it's a slow process.

The Coobra yeast suggests using dextrose so I've ordered some. There's nothing in the instructions about when to add the 'sugar'. I'd like to measure the OG. If the sugar is fed in gradually, how would you calculate an OG?

If you look at the thread "raisin a question or two" near the last pages, I explain an easy method for keeping track of the added sugar.(post #25)

By the way this yeast your using is it a big pack that has nutrient mixed in,?????
If so it might be too much and leave a salty unpleasant aftertaste.
I dont know this coobra product,
But Turbo kits are not usually meant for directly drinking, Distillation normally takes care of the turbo additives.

Last edited:
Please do JCR. I probably won't drink much of it as it's not my tipple, but I'm fascinated by this thread. And, who knows what may hap!

Back