Dried Elderflower Recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpile1

Reaction score
I've got hold of quite a lot of dried Elderflowers. I was planning on adding a small amount (1tsp) of dried Elderflowers into a gallon of WOW to see if it makes an interesting addition to the basic recipe.

However I've ended up with 200g of dried Elderflowers so I've got enough to do an infinite number of WOWs :D .

I was therefore wondering if anyone has a tried and tested wine recipe they'd like to share which I could use the dried Elderflowers in? Can you make Elderflower wine from them? If so, anyone got a good recipe?

Thanks,

Darren

Thanks for your reply. Looks like an interesting recipe and seeing as I've not make a sparkling wine before, I'll give it a go. :thumb:

My 200g of Elderflowers is gonna last for a lot of brews if 25g of them makes a gallon! :party:

Thanks Abeyptfc

Darren

no problems. I think I followed the recipe as stated on my first batch of champagne and it was really nice and citrusy, I bottled my 2nd batch of it but I think I may have put in 200 grams instead of 100, ach well what a shame! make sure you get muslin bags though, on my first attempt I ended up with a few bits of elderflower in the champagne but I syphoned the brew through 3 muslin bags and theres no bits floating about this time.
I've still got a few bottles of my first batch, its really lively though, so much so that I need to hold a pot above and below the bottle to catch all of the champagne as it's explosive! for my 2nd batch I've got 16 in glass grolsch bottles but I've filled up 2 x 1litre plastic bottles so I can test the carbonation each day, just incase it gets really fizzy, then I can pop the lid to let some pressure out!
Ive made 16 litres both times by the way.

Fantastic, thank you. I like the idea of running some in plastic bottles to keep an eye on the pressure - ta. :cheers:

Hi all
I am thinking of doing this brew. One question, how long do you steep the elderflower for? 24 hours? Or shorter

I did a kit wine Gevurtztraminer and it used dried elderflowers to give that floral bouquet - it was very nice.

elderflower champagne is fun to make! recipe - http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/recipes-elderflower-champagne

Dried Elderflowers can be used instead of fresh at a conversion rate of 25g/4.5 litre dependant upon taste.
it appears this Elderflower Champagne recipe link is no longer working, maybe because the post is 13± years old, nevertheless, it appeared in my Google query results and is the most relevant info on the topic I'm researching and the info is direct and to the point, so if you or someone else reading this could be so kind as to repost the link, share a similar recipe link or copy/paste the recipe in a reply; I'd really appreciate it!
I've loved real elderflower, other edible florals, herbals—botanicals, well all my life, but I'm only recently attempting to create my own alcoholic beverages using fresh and dried herbs. I'm currently creating and comparing my own recipes with tried and true ones that I've tweaked, and in part, made my own while finding ways to use my dried botanicals harvested earlier this year from my garden. it's common practice to use about half± dried versus fresh, but since I have yet to use elderflowers to infuse flavor into alcohol; I thought it best to ask the community brew pros!
on another, but related topic; can anyone recommend where to buy unique style and shaped liquor bottles by the case—6, 12, or 24 count/case? I can find the standard home brew and DIY bottles all day, but I like unique things, so I'm hoping to find better options by gaining access to or locating bottle manufacturers, wholesalers or retailers where the big brands (or even Etsy type sellers) go to buy their packaging. I'm hoping this gets me closer to more and better options. here are a few examples of style features I'd consider: recycled, handblown, and/or seeded glass, clear, classy colored (purple or violet, vintage blue or dusty pink) or food safe mercury glass, with bottle shapes such as really tall with long narrow neck, vintage apothocary or science lab style, anything equestrian (horse) inspired, animal shapes, sphere or elipse. for example: I love the hand-blown, seeded glass of the Patron bottle, with it's wide rim lip above the perfect size neck, finished with a large sphere cork. I don't want to copy other's ideas, though; I want to find something I can make my own with some similar design features. I also love many of the Italian brand olive oil and balsamic vinegar bottles with their beautiful unique styles. I repurpose glass bottles and jars when I can, especially beautiful hefty ones, I prefer all natural materials and packaging, so I prefer real corks, or to use s temporary wood or plant based stopper for use during storage and transportation, but include a ground glass stopper, or a cork or silicone wrapped glass stopper to use once they've been delivered to their final destination. in part I want unique bottles so the recipient has a hard time just throwing it in the trash after one use. I want to encouraged the recipient to either return them once empty for refills, or keep them to reuse or repurpose. if anyone has ideas of where I should begin my search or knows where I can find bottles like I'm looking for, preferably at a reasonable price, please share any relevant product info, link(s), brand(s), wholesalers, or retailers.
I want the end result to be make a lasting impression with it's unique, professional and luxurious look, well suited for the boutique or retail store, although I'm just a gal that enjoys crafting personal, handmade, anytime–gifts for family and friends—what I create is created with the sole intention of gifting; I have no intentions to sell or retail any of my creations.
the costs for ingredients, and little personal touch details like wax seals, ribbon, tags, info cards, labels, personalized stampes or embossers, packaging, et cetera, add up quickly, so beautiful bottles or jars I can find at reasonable price is always much appreciated—who doesn't love a good deal, though, right!?
thank you for reading; I look forward to your response,
Naomi

Back