Dried Extract kit recommendations for a killer pale ale with tons of aroma?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doram

Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations for a pale ale dried extract kit (+some dry hopping). I am after something light on the AVB (3.5-4.5%) but full of flavour. I love tons of hop aroma that explode in your face even before the first sip, if you know what I mean. :-)
Back in the day when pubs were a thing, I remember enjoying Timothy Taylor's Landlord (as a well known reference), but anything along those lines with a lot of hop aroma works for me.

Dried extract kits I have tried recently (all from Brew UK):
Timothy Taylor Landlord (good, but not as I remembered it from the pub);
Route Citra Six Wheat bear (very nice cold in the summer);
Way to Amarillo (+dry hopping with Galaxy) - (very nice);
Rocker extract kit (+dry hopping with Cascade and Galaxy) (also nice).

Before that I have been brewing standard liquid kits for many years (probably 30 years since my first one), but never developed deeper and am happy to keep things simple.

So - any killer dried extract pale ale kits with tons of aroma that would fit what I am looking for (+ dry hopping suggestions if you think I should add those)?
Also - how do you find Brew UK compared to other suppliers? Should I stick with what I know, or try somewhere else?

3kg of extralight dme
100g of galaxy & 100 amarillo dry hop
mj's m44
100g cascade 10 min boil and 30 flameout.

or if you want more of an neipa use the bavarian yeast instead and of course swirl the yeast when pouring.

I spent ages doing the BrewUK kits before I moved to AG, they're good. I tried similar kits from other suppliers but they weren't as good. Exmoor Gold was one of my favourites, not massively hop-forward but a very nice ale. St Austell Proper Job is the one to go for I think, I was able to do a A/B comparison of the BrewUK version against a pub pint and I wasn't able to tell the difference,

Exmoor Gold was one of my favourites, not massively hop-forward but a very nice ale. St Austell Proper Job is the one to go for I think
Thanks! The Proper Job has good reviews and sounds yum. Did you add any dry hopping to those? Would you?

Thanks! The Proper Job has good reviews and sounds yum. Did you add any dry hopping to those? Would you?

It's been a while since I made it, but I think the hops for a dry hop are included in that one.

I wouldn't add any extra dry hop to a recipe pack like this as you'd change the beer: all the ingredients to make the beer should be in the kit. You may as well just get a cheaper generic beer that doesn't take so long to make (boil etc) and dry hop that e.g. I always found Coopers Austalian Pale Ale a good base for dry hopping, even a short boil too.

3kg of extralight dme
100g of galaxy & 100 amarillo dry hop
mj's m44
100g cascade 10 min boil and 30 flameout.

or if you want more of an neipa use the bavarian yeast instead and of course swirl the yeast when pouring.
That will be lovely, I did a very similar recipe last year, instead of the dme I used MO and Pils malts. Such a great tasting mix of hops!

Back