Dried Valencia orange peel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritzpoll85

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been prepping a blue moon clone and found some great recipes. One ingredient everyone seems ovsesed with is dried sweet orange peel, but specifically from Valencia oranges.

If you are in the US, looks like you can get these ground fro a brand called McCormack's, but this isnt available in the UK.

Anything special about these types of orange, or will generic sweet peel do?

I use generic dried orange peel to give a little citrus in my white wines and also in my gins. You can add a little sweetness if it's missing in numerous ways where needed.

I generally have 2 small citrus fruits a day with a yogurt at lunchtime (not at weekends) and collected a good couple of weeks worth of peel to add to a Belgian Witbeer. The beer was pretty good, but I can't say how much difference the peel made. I do suspect it made rather little.

Lakeland (overpriced kitchen-tat shop in Bowness on Windermere ) do a Marmalade kit that uses proper oranges and makes decent marmalade which I have added to several beers - mainly wheat beers, but also a stout - and have been pleased with the results.

Im fairly sure u can dry most orange peel in the oven on a low temp. I should imagine any sweet oranges will give the same result. There are many regions in the world known for exceptional oranges. Perhaps they have thick skin/minimal pith or high oil content.

I've been prepping a blue moon clone and found some great recipes. One ingredient everyone seems ovsesed with is dried sweet orange peel, but specifically from Valencia oranges.

If you are in the US, looks like you can get these ground fro a brand called McCormack's, but this isnt available in the UK.

Anything special about these types of orange, or will generic sweet peel do?
I have some bitter orange peel powder which I bought from US, pretty sure it isn't real orange peel, just an orange flavoured powder. I have since seen it on a lot of sites when looking for other flavourings.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orange-Dried-Powder-Premium-Quality/dp/B013AYS8TC

What counts as a sweet orange that I can peel though? I'm no good on what counts as a sweet orange😐

It's the technical term for what most people just call "oranges", to distinguish from Seville oranges (the bitter ones used for marmalade).

Over on HBT there's a massive thread on cloning Blue Moon which obsesses about different orange peels.... (but includes detailed contributions from folk who have worked at Coors)

It's the technical term for what most people just call "oranges", to distinguish from Seville oranges (the bitter ones used for marmalade).

Over on HBT there's a massive thread on cloning Blue Moon which obsesses about different orange peels.... (but includes detailed contributions from folk who have worked at Coors)
Yes, I've read that thread. Was very informative in many ways but I think I'll try one of the recipes from the chap at Coors. Maybe I'll try just using what I can get and see how it works out. Was just interested in what others were using

Back