Drill settings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBowie

Regular.
Reaction score
I’ve finished now so more a what was I doing wrong thread.

I’ve got an old Bosch drill I inherited from my old man when he died. It has hammer or drill action, 1 and 2 (which I assume are clutch settings) and A to D on the trigger with an E also on the trigger but separate from the other letters.

I bought new masonry bits and drilling into brick. It took bloody ages. What should I have had the drill set to and any tips for if I want to put myself through it again?

For drilling into bricks or other masonry, its hammer action on (you should feel a strong vibration when drilling into the brick) and use a lower speed. For drilling through wood or metal, hammer action off and use a higher speed, and the correct bit.

Yeah I had it on hammer, I didn’t know which setting to have clutch on but did it on lower speeds. New Bosch bits and it still took a good 10 minutes a hole (I did stop often to check temperature of bit). Should it take that long?

I've got a Bosch drill - very easy to accidently put it into reverse without realising.

Drill bits are way more important than the drill.
Try drilling some plate steel or very hard masonry with cheap bits and you'll be there all day and spend a fortune on dozens of now knackered bits

My drill bit set cost nearly as much as my drill, but they are all still working and sharp 5 years later.

I've got a Bosch drill - very easy to accidently put it into reverse without realising.
Does it sound like it’s got similar settings? It didn’t seem in reverse but how would I definitely know?

Does it sound like it’s got similar settings? It didn’t seem in reverse but how would I definitely know?
There's a lever on mine just above the actual trigger, to the right it spins clockwise, to the left anti. It's very easy when picking up the drill to knock it into reverse.

There's a lever on mine just above the actual trigger, to the right it spins clockwise, to the left anti. It's very easy when picking up the drill to knock it into reverse.

I’ll have a look, I was going to do some more this morning but I ain’t going up a ladder in this wind! Thanks for all the help

As said before get yourself an SDS drill and don't force it ...let the drill do the work for you :thumb:

Latest posts

Back