Drink beer if you're vegan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a vegan nor a veggie, but I do believe meat consumption should be reduced. Meat production in its present form isn't sustainable. Over 50% of UK farmland is used for meat production i.e. pasture and arable land for feed crops.

If everyone ate less meat we could have more woodland, more bio-fuel crops and less mephane production.

Why? It's quite easy to get all the vitamins and nutrients you need from plant based sources if you do your research.
From your other post I got the impression that it wasn't all that easy.
I have no problem if you want to go vegan, it's none of my business.

If everyone ate less meat we could have more woodland, more bio-fuel crops and less mephane production

Whatever the rights and wrongs of various diets, in afraid that statement isn't accurate. Much of that 50% is marginal land that cannot be used for arable production, and that includes crops for bio fuels. Also, given that you need crop rotation, don't assume that you can make an 1:1 equivalence between protein grown as animal feed and that which could directly provide protein for humans. It's a *lot* more complicated than some campaigners like to make out.

I've been vegetarian for about 25 years as well as off and on vegan during that time. Recently I've been thinking about committing to being vegan. One of my concerns was about getting all the vitamins and minerals I need to function (and do my 120 mile weekly commute). One type of vitamin that vegans can be deficient in is vitamin B12. . Nutritional yeast is touted as a suppliment that should be taken if deficient in vitiamin B12. But I dont like taking vitamins. Marmite is also a good souce of B vitamins, but I hate the stuff. Happily beer is packed full of B12 and a 330m l bottle contains about 12% of recommended daily amount needed.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/4-heal...n-and-protein-are-there-dont-overdo-it-258658
Which means you have to drink 3 litres of the stuff to get your RDA. Happy daze!

More trees would already be nice. More co2 trapped, more area for wildlife to live, wild bees to be, and it would be overall nicer.
Not 'arf. I was wondering what to listen to while do my turn at washing up (sand and ditch water of course). It's a toss up between Quintessence and Strawberry Alarm Clock.
Wup. Quintessence won, always though SAC were frauds.

If you eat meat do it and stop making up pathetic excuses - just own it. All the defenses sound like this:

* I hit my kids because somebody else hits their kids and my dad hit me.
* If I didn't have a secret cellar I keep my kids locked up in so I can torture them I'd have not bothered to have kids. They're lucky I always wanted to torture kids.
* I like picking scabs so I have to keep cutting my cellar-dwellers so I've got a good supply of scabs to pick. If I didn't like picking scabs then I wouldn't give them antibiotics and they'd die.
* And you get the idea with that. I hope.

I eat meat and drink milk because I'm a selfish ****.

That is a great post there, albeit on a subject (vegetarian diets et al) on which my opinions are probably of null value. SWMBO likes chicken and steak, so why would I even need an opinion, er, right?

May I enquire, though, whether you have any actual children? If not, you might take mine off my hands. Quite comely by appearance, it would seem, but such a nuisance on brew days. Past their "best by" date, though, at 22 and 25.

@MyQul would a multivitamin do the job?

I take this one daily and have for years.

Ingredients
Calcium Carbonate, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Ferrous Fumarate, Cellulose, Vitamin E Acetate, Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, Calcium Pantothenate, Modified Maize Starch, Silicon Dioxide, Acacia, Maize Starch, Thiamine Mononitrate, Colours (Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide), Magnesium Stearate, Stearic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Talc, Sucrose, Triglycerides, Antioxidant (Tocopherol), Vitamin D3

Vitamin A 800 µg RE
Vitamin D 5 µg
Vitamin E 10 mg α-TE
Vitamin C 60 mg
Thiamin
(Vitamin B1) 1.4 mg
Pantothenic Acid 6 mg
Iron 14 mg
Nah. A horrendous list of food additives. What's wrong with a proper bit of steak and chips with a bit of curry sauce. Stick with nature, I say.

Nah. A horrendous list of food additives. What's wrong with a proper bit of steak and chips with a bit of curry sauce. Stick with nature, I say.

I want to emphasise "proper bit". So no cheap mystery meat, no Chernobillic chunks of chicken, no flabs of meat the size of 2 plates. Just a regular responsibel bit of meat from an animal that had a good life until the end.

@MyQul would a multivitamin do the job?

I take this one daily and have for years.

Ingredients
Calcium Carbonate, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Ferrous Fumarate, Cellulose, Vitamin E Acetate, Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, Calcium Pantothenate, Modified Maize Starch, Silicon Dioxide, Acacia, Maize Starch, Thiamine Mononitrate, Colours (Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide), Magnesium Stearate, Stearic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Talc, Sucrose, Triglycerides, Antioxidant (Tocopherol), Vitamin D3

Vitamin A 800 µg RE
Vitamin D 5 µg
Vitamin E 10 mg α-TE
Vitamin C 60 mg
Thiamin
(Vitamin B1) 1.4 mg
Pantothenic Acid 6 mg
Iron 14 mg

As An Ankou says, lots of additives there. Also not all vitamins are created equal e.g. The first ingredient in the list is calcium carbonate. I assume to give the body calcium? However calcium carbonate (chalk) and is not a form of calcium that the body can absorb very well (if at all).
Nutritionist say the best way to get vitamins and minerals is through your diet, so I would prefer to get them in, that way.

I believe that people should just be left alone to eat what they like, and if that happens to be a vegan diet, good for them.

However, can we just clear something up about agriculture? It has long been the case that any land of sufficient grade that could profitability grow crops that can be sold directly was ploughed up and has been pressed into use long ago (most of this happened in the 70's, I remember all of the grassland here disappearing around then). So if meat consumption stopped tomorrow, don't assume that the land in use could realistically be put into use as arable land, much if it isn't suitable for one reason or another, otherwise it would almost certainly already be under the plough. There are some exceptions, if course; some grassland is protected by regulations, and some of that could possibly be used for crop production if those regulations were done away with, but not much. Certainly where you see sheep being the predominant animal being farmed, the land under them is very low grade.

I'll go away and stop boring every one to death now. :laugh8:

As Chippy says, "spot on". I try to live my life like Captain America says in Easy Rider, "...you do your own thing in your own time."

Nice (and interesting) explanation about agriculture, btw athumb..

The first ingredient in the list is calcium carbonate

Ingredients are listed in order of quantity, suggesting that calcium carbonate is the most prominent ingredient in the pills. I suspect, therefore, it's the filler that holds all the other active ingredients together rather than being in there to provide dietary calcium. I suspect it's #1 in most pills ingredient list.

God I'm full of useless information.... :laugh8:

Ingredients are listed in order of quantity, suggesting that calcium carbonate is the most prominent ingredient in the pills. I suspect, therefore, it's the filler that holds all the other active ingredients together rather than being in there to provide dietary calcium. I suspect it's #1 in most pills ingredient list.

God I'm full of useless information.... :laugh8:

You're probably right, but i have seen calcium supliments where the calcium is in the form of calcium carbonate. Here's one from holland and barrett for example

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...e-calcium-tablets-500mg-60004440?skuid=004440

I used to be vegetarian with vegan tendencies for 15 years. Now I eat dead animals every day and I am thankful for their sacrifice to give me sustenance.
My research and experiences if you want to avoid meat and fish:
  • Avoid any chemically produced supplements. Some of them can be very harmful.
  • Avoid soy. Almost all soy is GMO. Soy contains estrogen-like molecules wich can alter body chemistry in a negative way.
  • Avoid eating reheated fat and carbs, like fast food or precooked dinners from supermarkets etc.
  • Eat as much ecologically grown food as possible. Even better, grow your own. Wash fruit and vegetables with H2O2 to get rid of pesticides used during transport. They gas your food you know.
  • Eat fermented stuff and ferment your own. Very healthy (vitamin K) and it lasts longer.
  • Eat sprouts every day. Easy to make and nice in salads.
  • Avoid heating to much of your food cos it destroys nutrients.

Back