Drinking beer early

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobMorgan1981

Reaction score
Hi all, my Tom Caxton ale was in the FV for a week, and now in the keg for 5 days. How soon have people poured a pint after brewing, without it tasting vile? It says 14 days to condition.
What's the odds on not regretting having one this weekend???

Well in that case, once I've finished this, my last can of Rheinbacher Pilsner from Aldi, I'll wack one off 😂

All grain is a bit different to kits but I'm normally tucking in after 3 days conditioning :laugh8:
I find two weeks in the FV then a week of bottle conditioning and they're good to start drinking. Couple of months until they hit their best usually though.

Hi all, my Tom Caxton ale was in the FV for a week, and now in the keg for 5 days. How soon have people poured a pint after brewing, without it tasting vile? It says 14 days to condition.
What's the odds on not regretting having one this weekend???

The grown-up answer is that it will probably reach it’s best after about 4-6 weeks but as you’ve already discovered there are no grown-ups here 😂

Like @Clint I normally always do a QC after a few days in the bottle. But generally wait for 2-3 weeks post bottle for drinkage. However the longer the wait, the better the taste.

I've never wanted to draw any off the barrel till it's properly ready to drink, as I didn't want to make it go off early, but it seems like a lot do, from reading other peoples messages.
Perhaps as long as air doesn't glug through it's ok to do this?
I used to drink it after conditioning 2 weeks, as per the instruction in the kit, but recently noticed how much better my tom claxton kit was after 4 weeks in the bottle compared to 2

Officially I should be stating the 2-2-2 rule of thumb, but I’ve generally found beer can be quite drinkable within a week of bottling/kegging. But it does almost always improve over time, and when possible I try to leave for 4 weeks.

You lot are quick off the mark on this one! 😂
However, I've hit a stumbling block 😭
It's flat!
My seal is old, and it let all the build up of pressure out 😭😭😭
I primed the keg with 85g.

So, can I fit new seal, and put it somewhere warm again for 2 days?
Do I need to add more priming sugar?
I do have a co2 canister, so I can pressurise it.
Help! I don't want to lose 40 pints 😬

You lot are quick off the mark on this one! 😂
However, I've hit a stumbling block 😭
It's flat!
My seal is old, and it let all the build up of pressure out 😭😭😭
I primed the keg with 85g.

So, can I fit new seal, and put it somewhere warm again for 2 days?
Do I need to add more priming sugar?
I do have a co2 canister, so I can pressurise it.
Help! I don't want to lose 40 pints 😬

Hi Rob,

Once you’ve fixed the seal, inject some CO2. You can reprime with sugar if you prefer but CO2 injection is much faster and we all want to drink our beer as early as possible! ;)

Hi Rob,

Once you’ve fixed the seal, inject some CO2. You can reprime with sugar if you prefer but CO2 injection is much faster and we all want to drink our beer as early as possible! ;)
I have actually managed to bodge the seal air tight for now. I had to use some grips to get the leverage 😬. Does the co2 takes a while to work?

I have actually managed to bodge the seal air tight for now. I had to use some grips to get the leverage 😬. Does the co2 takes a while to work?

If you prime with sugar, secondary fermentation produces CO2 over a period of a few days and pressurises your keg.

If you inject CO2 the keg is pressurised immediately and the beer will start to carbonate within hours.

@RobMorgan1981
Most homebrew beers are just about drinkable as soon as they are carbed and clear. However most improve with an extra four weeks or so of conditioning, although a few are best drunk young, and a few more can take a lot longer.
The best plan is to build up a stock so that there is no pressure to drink it asap, and you can take your time and find out how the flavours develop. I have a PB with a mild in it and started drinking it two weeks after packaging and it is now nearly all gone after eight weeks and I have been surprised how its changed over the weeks, especially since it is now probably at its best.
As far as the PB try this
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/guide-to-a-standard-home-brew-pressure-barrel.67042/

Back