Drinking sediment

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

labrewski

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I give a few bottles to a friend every now and again I keep telling him to use a glass and leave a little in bottle but he drinks from the bottle and finishes it all can it make u sick

NPi

Regular.
Reaction score
No, it's perfectly harmless, but he will likely be producing a lot more gas...

foxy

Landlord.
Reaction score
I give a few bottles to a friend every now and again I keep telling him to use a glass and leave a little in bottle but he drinks from the bottle and finishes it all can it make u sick
It would be healthier to pour out the beer and drink the dregs.:laugh8:

GerritT

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vitamins and some minerals are in the sediment, not unhealthy but it could draw attention away from the taste.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
It can trigger gout (if you already have it) and give you rhino farts.

Otherwise, other than affecting the taste of the beer, it won’t do any harm.

chthon

Landlord.
Reaction score
What I encountered in the last couple of days with a saison beer of mine, it has an IBU of 28. The first bottle I poured I had some sediment, and it tasted more bitter than the second, where I poured it out more carefully without sediment, and it tasted smoother.
So that might be a nice reason to convince him of pouring it carefully out first.
Also, drinking from the bottle removes the smell of the beer, which is also worse for tasting it.

obscure

Perpetually Confused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It probably won’t do you any harm and I suppose of you drink straight from the bottle you don’t see how murky it looks.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Staff member
Reaction score
I seem to remember a discussion on gout a long time ago. My fellow mod @Slid mentioned something about yeast/trub giving him gout I think. I'll let him fill in the blanks in my swiss cheese like memory

Harbey

Regular.
Reaction score
When I first started brewing, homebrew generally gave me muchos gasious. Got used to it in no time. And I always swill and drink my wheat beer bottles with no side effects.

labrewski

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmmm makes me wanna start a fart thread yep think I have to

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
If it's a wheat beer / Weiss though you want the sediment. Pour most of it into a glass then swill round what's left in the bottle and pour that in too. If it's good enough for the Germans. Have a few curry wursts and you can do your own SpaceX impression later on 😁

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
I seem to remember a discussion on gout a long time ago. My fellow mod @Slid mentioned something about yeast/trub giving him gout I think. I'll let him fill in the blanks in my swiss cheese like memory
Yes, I suffered a bit when first returning to HB a few years back. Problem was drinking the yeasty dregs as well as the only a bit cloudy beer.
Underlying problem is purines in the diet. These are by-products of anaerobic respiration (yeasties) and purines are broken down in the body into uric acid, the proximate cause of gout.

Since I became more concerned about cloudy beer (rack to secondary for a week before bottling) and no longer drink the dregs, have had no issues. Not even with the odd wheat beer.

proost

Old Git
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too late. There already is one ;): Does your beer make you Fart?
First time I've seen that thread and as I was reading it my missus said "what are you laughing at" when I told her, she replied "isn't it about time you grew up?"
Have to say that I have been drawing my state pension for quite a few years now.

I'm still laughing at some of the replies 🤣😄🍺😳😂

Reaction score
First time I've seen that thread and as I was reading it my missus said "what are you laughing at" when I told her, she replied "isn't it about time you grew up?"
Have to say that I have been drawing my state pension for quite a few years now.

I'm still laughing at some of the replies 🤣😄🍺😳😂
Good for you mate. My better half is always saying the same thing, my answer is always why? ;)

Latest posts