Drinking sediment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
I give a few bottles to a friend every now and again I keep telling him to use a glass and leave a little in bottle but he drinks from the bottle and finishes it all can it make u sick

No, it's perfectly harmless, but he will likely be producing a lot more gas...

It can trigger gout (if you already have it) and give you rhino farts.

Otherwise, other than affecting the taste of the beer, it won’t do any harm.

What I encountered in the last couple of days with a saison beer of mine, it has an IBU of 28. The first bottle I poured I had some sediment, and it tasted more bitter than the second, where I poured it out more carefully without sediment, and it tasted smoother.
So that might be a nice reason to convince him of pouring it carefully out first.
Also, drinking from the bottle removes the smell of the beer, which is also worse for tasting it.

I seem to remember a discussion on gout a long time ago. My fellow mod @Slid mentioned something about yeast/trub giving him gout I think. I'll let him fill in the blanks in my swiss cheese like memory

When I first started brewing, homebrew generally gave me muchos gasious. Got used to it in no time. And I always swill and drink my wheat beer bottles with no side effects.

If it's a wheat beer / Weiss though you want the sediment. Pour most of it into a glass then swill round what's left in the bottle and pour that in too. If it's good enough for the Germans. Have a few curry wursts and you can do your own SpaceX impression later on 😁

I seem to remember a discussion on gout a long time ago. My fellow mod @Slid mentioned something about yeast/trub giving him gout I think. I'll let him fill in the blanks in my swiss cheese like memory

Yes, I suffered a bit when first returning to HB a few years back. Problem was drinking the yeasty dregs as well as the only a bit cloudy beer.
Underlying problem is purines in the diet. These are by-products of anaerobic respiration (yeasties) and purines are broken down in the body into uric acid, the proximate cause of gout.

Since I became more concerned about cloudy beer (rack to secondary for a week before bottling) and no longer drink the dregs, have had no issues. Not even with the odd wheat beer.

Too late. There already is one ;): Does your beer make you Fart?
First time I've seen that thread and as I was reading it my missus said "what are you laughing at" when I told her, she replied "isn't it about time you grew up?"
Have to say that I have been drawing my state pension for quite a few years now.

I'm still laughing at some of the replies 🤣😄🍺😳😂

First time I've seen that thread and as I was reading it my missus said "what are you laughing at" when I told her, she replied "isn't it about time you grew up?"
Have to say that I have been drawing my state pension for quite a few years now.

I'm still laughing at some of the replies 🤣😄🍺😳😂
Good for you mate. My better half is always saying the same thing, my answer is always why? ;)

Latest posts

Back