Drinks You Wouldn't Admit to Drinking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never understood how Germany's "affordable bread" protection laws necessarily produce a nicer and less hangover-engendering beer than those beers where the water chemistry is adjusted, grains other than barley are used and, in Belgium, spices and orange peel are added. I had some very nice German beers, but also some awful ones which claim to comply with Reinheitsgebot.
Most German beers available over here seem to use hop extract instead of actual hops, according to the label anyway, even the nice beers like Hacker-Pschorr and Flensberger appear to (although the HP website lists the hops used). I’d imagine they’d be even better with actual hops.

In terms of historic drinks I went through a phase at Uni thinking Carling Premier was the business. Also when first moved to London there was a really overpriced lager in our work local which was really cold and they zapped electric through it at the end of the pour which precipitated loads of tiny ice crystals. total gimmick.

In terms of currently, I am a bit of a sucker for a cold pint/ can of Amstel.

When I was young (underage) we used to drink all kinds of rubbish... 20/20 which was peach schnapps I think, pulse cider which was a cheap rip off of white lightning, and Gold Label Barley wine. Lead to some messy times that's for sure.

Nowadays if I'm in a pub with little choice I'll go for Heineken or the new Carlsberg Pilsner. Don't know if the latter is just marketing or what but it's actually alright if you like a light pilsner.
20/20 which was actually called MD 20/20 or MadDog was its nickname is an American fortified wine which came in different flavours. Great hangover material.

In spite of all the hype, I've never had a decent pint of Greene King IPA. Even in a pub that looks after its beer well. Mind you, last time I had a pint, it was 99p somewhere. Maybe things have moved on as well as prices.

In spite of all the hype, I've never had a decent pint of Greene King IPA. Even in a pub that looks after its beer well. Mind you, last time I had a pint, it was 99p somewhere. Maybe things have moved on as well as prices.
My local Wetherspoons often has either GKIPA or Deuchars on for £1.79.

I usually avoid GK but Deuchars at that price is decent, and it also kind of makes up for all the “craft” beers I drink as part of the rounds when I’m out with my mates compared to their pints of Tennants.

I live in a area that has always been a big GK area going back to the days when it was considered a small brewery. In those days Abbot was as good as it gets IMO and the IPA was a decent session beer so it was IPA lunchtimes Abbot in the evening. A fire at the brewery mid 1980's meant amongst other thing they lost their continuing yeast strain and the beer has never been as good.

Caffrey's still exists? I don't think you can get it in Ireland any more. I seen a Kilkenny pump in a bar a while back and was amazed that still existed too.

I would rather drink water than shyte beer!

I know it’s **** now but is there anyone who remembers what it used to be like? Was it always rubbish.

If you go into some traditional boozers in Yorkshire, you can still get John Smiths cask. Its not a bad pint, if well kept, in a ordinary bitter kind of way. Tastes nothing like nitro John Smiths smooth.

1. Carling (in my defence I was young, and it was £1 a pint in the student union a pint of cask ale cost £2.45 in the local pub)
2. Coors and Bud Light which I still enjoy now and then in the back garden or back when they where still open the pub at the height of summer.
3. Premixed Gin and Tonic from Marks and Spencer drunk straight from the can on a station platform

I remember when I was about 16 or 17, going into an offy just before lunch time and buying a single can of Steiger. I think it was about 49p. I then walked through town, drinking it. Just WTF was I thinking!

Latest posts

Back