Drinks You Wouldn't Admit to Drinking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carlsberg Special Brew - until they ditched the 9% version, always kept some for those rainy days, a truly great beer. Forget the bad PR... those crazy Danes knew how to brew something special!!

Drank an ungodly amount of Buckfast as young man and probably would again. Last year me and a mate shared a bottle of Electric Melon MD20/20 on a train.

I drink Corona regularly and have a passionate love affair with Tennents Lager.
Think that post indicates your geographic origins, ie West of Scotland somewhere.
Heehee

clapa
Yes...but only the tinned variety... I had the draught back in the 80's and it was decent.
Yes, indeed it was. There were very good Boddies pubs in Glossop in the early 1980's - Drovers Arms, The Station and best of all the Grapes (Licence holder a Gladys Sidebottom, if memory serves). Very bitter and "edgy" sort of taste.

I think its demise came when production moved from the old brewery (Strangeways?) with copper lined fermenting tuns to new and improved stainless steel. As everyone knows, living things evolve into ecological niches as opposed to superior beings and the Boddington's yeast responded to its new environment by giving up the ghost.

OK, so, **** stuff I've regretted drinking? Most spirits, but especially Ouzo. Ghastly hangovers from this and maybe other aniseed based horrors.

OK, so, **** stuff I've regretted drinking? Most spirits, but especially Ouzo. Ghastly hangovers from this and maybe other aniseed based horrors.
I agree with you about the Ouzo hangovers, but I love the stuff. In Greece, when it was 10 drachs a bottle and you could smoke Papastratos fags with black tobacco. What great days those were. Also love pastis especially if you go upmarket a bit from Ricard and 51. In fact I used to love smoking black tobacco- Gauloise in France, or hand-rolled Gauloise backy in papiers maïs which had a peculiar smell of urine about them (no I didn't!) or, when in Spain, Habanos. The Habanos were the best. Haven't had Ouzo for yonks. I'm going to track some down on Amazon. Thanks for the reminder.
EDIT: Just checked on Amazon. Like everything else, Nanny State has watered it down to 38%- pisse d'âne! Looks like we're off to Greece for our hols.

In terms of historic drinks I went through a phase at Uni thinking Carling Premier was the business. Also when first moved to London there was a really overpriced lager in our work local which was really cold and they zapped electric through it at the end of the pour which precipitated loads of tiny ice crystals. total gimmick.

In terms of currently, I am a bit of a sucker for a cold pint/ can of Amstel.

Amstel is not Heineken. Not much wrong with an Amstel when thirsty and nothing else nearby.

Amstel is not Heineken. Not much wrong with an Amstel when thirsty and nothing else nearby.
Indeed it can be quite lovely.
I remember being in a little bar in Utrecht whilst on a work trip and there was a bloody massive wooden cask on a dolly behind the bar with a wooden tap hammered in. It was Amstel!

Indeed it can be quite lovely.
I remember being in a little bar in Utrecht whilst on a work trip and there was a bloody massive wooden cask on a dolly behind the bar with a wooden tap hammered in. It was Amstel!

Have got a university reunion tonight - Amstel always reminds me of my final year and Euro 96. It wasn't quite so ubiquitous then. If we were feeling flush at the end of a days footie and boozing we'd treat ourselves to 6 bottles of imported Amstel each from Augustus Barnet and make 'Amstel Hats' out of the cardboard boxes. Effing students.

I'm quite partial to a Heineken every now and then. There is no shame in this thread.

A few years ago you could but the big bottles (660ml or something like that) for about £1.25 or £1.50 off Amazon Prime Now, so I'd add a decent few onto the missus' orders👍

In spite of all the hype, I've never had a decent pint of Greene King IPA. Even in a pub that looks after its beer well. Mind you, last time I had a pint, it was 99p somewhere. Maybe things have moved on as well as prices.

I drink in a Greene King pub that really looks after their beer. Abbot there is second to none but when it's off I'd rather switch to Guinness or San Miguel than drink the flat, tasteless, insipid brew that is IPA.

I agree with you about the Ouzo hangovers, but I love the stuff. In Greece, when it was 10 drachs a bottle and you could smoke Papastratos fags with black tobacco. What great days those were. Also love pastis especially if you go upmarket a bit from Ricard and 51. In fact I used to love smoking black tobacco- Gauloise in France, or hand-rolled Gauloise backy in papiers maïs which had a peculiar smell of urine about them (no I didn't!) or, when in Spain, Habanos. The Habanos were the best. Haven't had Ouzo for yonks. I'm going to track some down on Amazon. Thanks for the reminder.
EDIT: Just checked on Amazon. Like everything else, Nanny State has watered it down to 38%- pisse d'âne! Looks like we're off to Greece for our hols.
Ouzo or better yet Raki, both of which seem very pleasant when you are on holiday on one of the Greek Islands, but the moment you get it home to the UK are absolutely vile and thus remain at the back of the cuboard for the next few decades.

Diet Lambrini from Iceland. I used to cane that stuff. It tasted like paracetamol but actually gives you a headache.

If we're talking dutch lager I used to like the Oranjeboom on my jaunts to A'dam back in the
80's / 90's.
Me and some pals did the Heinekein brewery tour whilst there and ended up afterwards getting very ******
at a nearby bar with a bunch of Ajax fans. The barmaid served the beers on a nifty circular tray with about 20 glssses
on it as I remember.

@An Ankou that black tobacco was pretty rough ! When i was bumming round Spain the most luxurious
smoke was a Fortuna.

Latest posts

Back