Drinks You Wouldn't Admit to Drinking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouzo or better yet Raki, both of which seem very pleasant when you are on holiday on one of the Greek Islands, but the moment you get it home to the UK are absolutely vile and thus remain at the back of the cuboard for the next few decades.

Raki - the old lions milk

I've been so ****** on raki...in a right mess..
The old potentially urban myth was that it crystallised in your digestive tract and then as soon as you have a glass of water in the morning it would go into solution and your be p#ssed again.

I am really going to show my age now, but I used to drink Courage light and bitter in pint jugs when I was 16 going on 17. As I recall, publicans were pretty lax in those days as to under age drinking. As long as you weren't too rowdy, anything went as long as you looked older than 14! :-) At the local disco on a Saturday night it was Watneys Red Barrel, Ind Coope IPA, or Worthington E! I was the odd one out as most of my mates drank pissy lagers like Harp, Skol or Hofmeister.

Oh those were the days.......

I confess I have on occasion had a glass of John Smith Extra Smooth (slightly nostalgic as remember drinking it at Birmingham railway station on my way to and from University)
You are forgiven as you were a student and I assume you have learned the error of your ways ;)

I love a bottle of Corona every now and again. I think it gets far too much flack from the craft beer crowd. It’s refreshing and hasn’t had its intended taste tainted by being brewed under licence.

I also spent a week in India with work last year and was drinking several pints of Kingfisher every night. It wasn’t great but it got the job done.
Can’t see how anyone can have a problem with Corona there are are far worse lagers out there. And I agree can’t beat a ice cold one day in the sun.

My cheep larger of choice tends to be Red Strip. Sometimes you just need to binge a corner shop 4 pack. It’s cheep, it’s not as frothy as the usual suspects (Carling , Fosters ect), and it’s a little stronger so does the job.

Can’t see how anyone can have a problem with Corona there are are far worse lagers out there. And I agree can’t beat a ice cold one day in the sun.
Fair point, same goes for Carling, Heineken, Erdinger, Schultenbrau and the like. The fact that it's enjoyable under specific circumstances doesn't make it good persé.

Fair point, same goes for Carling, Heineken, Erdinger, Schultenbrau and the like. The fact that it's enjoyable under specific circumstances doesn't make it good persé.
And we can’t sit Im a beer garden all afternoon and drink 6.5% super hoppy craft beer for to long. 1- you will be hammer and 2- you’ll be skint!

(I do enjoy a super hoppy craft beer tho)

..... pint jugs.....

You mentioned pint jugs which had just got me thinking. Do pubs sell the 4 pint pitchers anymore? When I started going out with my mates, all the locals used to sell them. Perhaps they still would if mine hadn't nearly all been converted into care homes, houses and curry houses over the past few decades 😁

Jack Daniels - many years ago I thought it was the coolest drink imaginable, until I sickened myself of it. Recently I've taken to trying other whisky's and bourbons and have realised how bad JD is; compared to some cracking bourbons such as Eagle Rare and Woodfords Reserve, I hang my head in shame at how bad my taste buds must have been 30 or so years ago :oops:

Latest posts

Back