Drip-trays and smoke detectors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peebee

Out of Control
Reaction score
Had a bit of an "interrupted" sleep last night. A smoke alarm went off!

Impromptu fire drills that early in the morning wasn't something I planned for. I was impressed that: The smoke alarm woke me: I wasn't overcome by panic (in a complete daze instead).

But no fire. The alarm shut up on its own, but restarted an hour or so later. What could be causing it - new alarms, just fitted, supposedly immune to erroneous triggering, the offending one being above my "bar" area.

At first I thought "power-cut" because all the clocks said zero - but it really was midnight! Anyway the alarms are battery operated. And then another crazy idea occurred to me. I'm not very diligent cleaning my drip-trays and they are often mouldy. I'd also closed all the doors in that room which I don't often do. So I wondered whether the alarms can be triggered by mould spores. And went back to bed.

This morning a Google search quickly confirmed mould spores will trigger smoke alarms.

Conclusion: Watch out where you site smoke alarms near your home-brew dispensing area: Better still, be a bit more diligent cleaning out drip-trays, etc.

I like a bit of electronics so I follow a guy called Big Clive on YouTube. On this one he does a tear down of a smoke detector and explains a little of how they work.
It may be of interest to some.

Back