Dripping barrel tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just wondered if this was a problem or not. I haven’t actually used a pressure barrel before, have only used bottles. I transferred my beer from FV to pressure barrel about a week ago, since then I have noticed that a small amount of beer is dripping from the tap (not the seal, the actual tap itself, where the beer is supposed to come out when open) and I am talking a small amount, probably a couple of drips a day. I thought I’d check if this is normal or if I have a faulty tap, obviously it’s a bit annoying if it’s faulty and needs returning as I have 40 pints to get through before then!!! Any ideas if there is any way to tighten it or anything whilst still on the barrel, don’t really want to lose the pressure?

Many thanks.

Sometimes they leak when fully closed, open it up just a smidge and it may stop.

The joys of home brew .my bloody bitter drips a bit . have a pint here and there . to release a bit of pressure .

Turned the tap a bit last night so it wasn't fully closed and there were still a few drips there this morning. Wanted to condition a little longer before taking any beer out to see if a little drop in pressure would help. Sorry I know this is such a trivial problem, just find it a bit annoying!!!!

It's not trivial. It's b****y annoying! Both my PBs do this, though with mine the drips stop after pressure has built up. I know I bought the cheapest PBs my LHBS sells, but they were still £25 each.
Years ago I had some PBs from Boots - they also were the cheapest at the time, but the taps never dripped a single drip and the caps were good to, though I had to seal off the pressure relief valves as they were leaking gas.
It just seems that these days the whole supply chain is angled towards maximum profit with no regard to quality of goods at all. After all it costs just as much to manufacture a leaky PB as it does a non-leaky PB. Or if not, the difference would be a few pence only.

Back