Dripping Tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevieb14

Reaction score
I've just returned to home brewing after a 20 year break, and started off with a Wherry in my original rotokeg. It's been a bit problematic to say the least! I tested the keg for leaks and replaced the cap seal and tap before I racked and all seemed fine for a week in secondary fermentation and for the first 3 days in my cellar, but now the tap has started to drip very slowly.
Is this terminal for my brew unless I change the tap or find some other way to stop the dripping?

What type of tap is it? If it's a lever type make sure it's dead on 90 degrees in the off position...a tiny bit either way and it could leak.

I had a problem with my Rotokeg tap last time I used it too. I just bottle everything now to save the potential hassle.

The problem is that unless you can take it apart you don't know what the problem is. It may be that the plastic has a split or crack in it and under pressure it is seeping.

If the drip isn't too bad, I'd be tempted to leave it and live with it until you have finished it off, but that might be a while. Obviously you'll need to keep on topping up the gas but it's a fine line of too much pressure potentially making the leak worse.

How often does it drip?

Last edited:
What type of tap is it? If it's a lever type make sure it's dead on 90 degrees in the off position...a tiny bit either way and it could leak.
No, it's a bar
No, it's the drum type with a twist knob, similar to the original one that came with the rotokeg.

I had a problem with my Rotokeg tap last time I used it too. I just bottle everything now to save the potential hassle.

The problem is that unless you can take it apart you don't know what the problem is. It may be that the plastic has a split or crack in it and under pressure it is seeping.

If the drip isn't too bad, I'd be tempted to leave it and live with it until you have finished it off, but that might be so. Obviously you'll need to keep on topping up the gas but it's a fine line of too much pressure potentially making the leak worse.

How often does it drip?
It''s dripping very slowly, about 2mm in the bottom of a standard jam jar in three days. Will it affect the life of the brew if I leave it?

I'd leave it then. As long as there is pressure is in the barrel then there is no way for air to get in and spoil it so it will be fine.

Just keep and eye out in case the leak gets worse when you start to use the tap pouring pints.

You'll just have to drink it up and get another on the go 😁

I'd leave it then. As long as there is pressure is in the barrel then there is no way for air to get in and spoil it so it will be fine.

Just keep and eye out in case the leak gets worse when you start to use the tap pouring pints.

You'll just have to drink it up and get another on the go 😁
Thanks for that, I'd prefer to live with it than start messing with trying to change the tap at this stage. It took some doing to get the float sitting and working properly. I just wasn't sure if it might affect the beer quality, but feel better now! Already got a Youngs IPA and a new (King) keg ready to start the next one!

Latest posts

Back