Dripping taps on HLT and Mash Tun - How to fix?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatFenBrew

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of dripping taps? Both taps are 3 Piece 1/2" BSP Full Bore Stainless Steel Weldless Tap Kit. Is it a case of simple tightening them? Or taking them apart or replacing them? The drips are happening once the taps are closed.
This is what the taps look like;
http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/taps-and-fittings/25-3-piece-12-weldless-tap-kit.html

Please note the taps were not purchased from angelhomebrew just using the link for info.

If anybody can help would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Does anyone have experience of dripping taps? Both taps are 3 Piece 1/2" BSP Full Bore Stainless Steel Weldless Tap Kit. Is it a case of simple tightening them? Or taking them apart or replacing them? The drips are happening once the taps are closed.
This is what the taps look like;
http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/taps-and-fittings/25-3-piece-12-weldless-tap-kit.html

Please note the taps were not purchased from angelhomebrew just using the link for info.

If anybody can help would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Where on the tap is the drip happening? Is it happening where the tap joins vessel or out the end of the tap?

The former can be solved by wrapping PTFE tape around the thread and making sure any joints are done up very tight. A rubber washer on the outside can be really useful in this situation too. Similarly if the leak is where the hose barb joins the tap wrapping PTFE tape around that will help.

If the tap itself is leaking (out the spigot) then it could be a faulty ball valve which doesn't close properly. I would buy a new tap as I don't think there's a way to fix that, but maybe a more knowledgeable forumite would be able to advise on that.

Thank you.
It is leaking right on the end where the liqour comes out of the HLT and the wort from the copper. Can't seem to shut it tight. In fact on one of them the tap goes a bit too far and starts to open up again.

If you have all those fittings you dont need anything else. The large washer holds the smaller washer and o ring. The smaller washer will be closest to the tap and the larger closest to the middle of the pot. Hope that makes sense, took me a while to figure it out.

If the leak is coming out of the hose barb then I would suspect a faulty valve mechanism. The valve should shut off fully irrespective of how tight the bolts are.
I only have one of this type and it has never dripped and gives a positive shut off.
I'm afraid I would be assuming poor quality fittings.

ps check it is a leak not just residual liquid on the outlet side of the tap as they can get a bit of an airlock when shut off.

Latest posts

Back