Dry Friers - are they any good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have had the Power Air Fryer XL in the video below for over 12 months and use it all the time we rarely use the big oven anymore, it's quicker and healthier as all the fat drops through the main basket into the outer part.
This is the American review ours goes to 200c max and works exactly the same as the one demonstrated.

Last edited:
I've said it before but by the time your oven has warmed up you can have the food cooked in one of these. One of the best buys I've made in years.
Get one that's big enough to cook a small to medium chicken, it's easy and comes out like one of those rotisserie chickens you get from the supermarket. A little garlick or sage under the skin and it's done in an hour (or a little over depending on size).
Great for doing roast veg, pies, frozen battered fish. not brilliant at proper chips but oven chips are lovely. I've even done a full breaky in one (I put the eggs in little foil boats).

I've said it before but by the time your oven has warmed up you can have the food cooked in one of these. One of the best buys I've made in years.
Get one that's big enough to cook a small to medium chicken, it's easy and comes out like one of those rotisserie chickens you get from the supermarket. A little garlick or sage under the skin and it's done in an hour (or a little over depending on size).
Great for doing roast veg, pies, frozen battered fish. not brilliant at proper chips but oven chips are lovely. I've even done a full breaky in one (I put the eggs in little foil boats).
Hmm sounds very tempting - thanks

Are they only good for what would otherwise be fried?
My mum used to have one of those boiled egg slicers with the wires across it. She also had a mint slicer thingy for shredding mint for mint sauce.

Are they only good for what would otherwise be fried?
The best analog I've found is: Think of the food you wish that you could do in the microwave for ease and speed but can't and have to fry, bake or roast. Then this is the gap it not only fills but uses less energy than the oven and less oil than frying (only thing is you can't fit a pizza in it).

The best analog I've found is: Think of the food you wish that you could do in the microwave for ease and speed but can't and have to fry, bake or roast. Then this is the gap it not only fills but uses less energy than the oven and less oil than frying (only thing is you can't fit a pizza in it).
Just asking on behalf of a friend who lives in Milton Keynes - are they any good for avocados, pineapples or bananas?

I have a philips air fryer. Use it loads for chips, made from actual potatoes and a little oil and seasoning. It is also used for homemade chicken nuggets and a variety of frozen "bites". Great piece of kit and Im planning to upgrade it to a slightly larger and more modern one (mine is a good few years old now!)

For me chips is where it really shines as they taste great and cant be too unhealthy as they are literally potatoes, a tiny bit of oil and some herbs. They need a bit of advance prep but easy enough done...

I’ve a Ninja Foodi and I love it more than at least one of the children. It’s used once or twice a week at least. It’s air frying most of the time, usually kids doing breaded chicken products. It does really good chips but I’ve given up on triple cooked after 6 months of persistent trying. I pressure cook a lot but the rest of the family don’t.
The sear/slow cook combo is really good too but not one we’ve used a lot recently. Once Covid has gone and full time work is a reality again I’ll be using that a lot more.
Can’t recommend it enough.

Last edited:
I’ve a Ninja Foodi and I love it more than at least one of the children. It’s used once or twice a week at least. It’s used for air frying most of the time, I pressure cook a lot but the rest of the family don’t.
The sear/slow cook combo is really good too but not one we’ve used a lot. Once Covid has gone and full time work is a reality again I’ll be using that a lot more.
Thanks - how many children do you have (just checking)?

We have seen the adverts and thought that they look good but don't know anyone who has one. I could be tempted.

My wife mentioned getting a air fryer the other day. She mentioned the ninja foodi. For the amount we would use it I don't see that we need to spend that much. The standard air fryer from ninja looks ok though

We have a Ninja Foodi also, not only is it a air frier, its a pressure cooker, slow cooker, you can bake in it + other stuff. I wasn't all that keen but the missus wanted one & uses it most days.

We bought a cheap Tower one just before Christmas (bought daughter the more expensive NINJA one as present LoL) and I think we have used it pretty much every day.

Back