Dry hop, but bubbling again?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn

Reaction score
Recently I brewed an pale ale, everything seem fine after 10 days of fermentation at 22 Celsius. The bubble inside the fermentation already settle down, not much air coming out from the airlock.

But today I opened the cover of carboy to dry hop, after I put back the airlock, immediately got air came out from the airlock, and the wort start to foaming again, like within 2 minutes.

what wrong with my wort? Is that some kind of infection?
(by theory, yeast will consume sugar and oxygen inside the carboy, will that possible that the wort still have lot of sugar and the yeast still active, just too less oxygen. So when i open the carboy, oxygen went inside, the yeast start their work immediately again?)

Thank you for any information and suggestion.

On my first brew I found my airlock started bubbling again once I dry hopped, it stopped again quickly enough though

I've had this happen when dry hopping with pellets, a second greenish krausen appeared which never really dropped. It hasn't ever happened with leaf. I suspect it's because the processing of the pellets allows natural sugars to be released. I could be completely wrong though.

It meant my bottles had a lot of sludge in

Recently I brewed an pale ale, everything seem fine after 10 days of fermentation at 22 Celsius. The bubble inside the fermentation already settle down, not much air coming out from the airlock.

But today I opened the cover of carboy to dry hop, after I put back the airlock, immediately got air came out from the airlock, and the wort start to foaming again, like within 2 minutes.

what wrong with my wort? Is that some kind of infection?
(by theory, yeast will consume sugar and oxygen inside the carboy, will that possible that the wort still have lot of sugar and the yeast still active, just too less oxygen. So when i open the carboy, oxygen went inside, the yeast start their work immediately again?)

Thank you for any information and suggestion.

I wouldn't panic - infections take time to get started. Don't forget that although your brew might have stopped fermenting, the liquid is still saturated with gas so adding the hops might just have given the gas something to latch onto to come out of solution. There might even have been some sugars in the hops themselves, enough to start the yeast off again for a while, anyway.

I would think that it is CO2 being liberated out of the beer because all of a sudden it has more nucleation points to form on. Much like dropping a Mentoe into Cola, just a lot more gentle

I would think that it is CO2 being liberated out of the beer because all of a sudden it has more nucleation points to form on. Much like dropping a Mentoe into Cola, just a lot more gentle

Oh god can you imagine what it would be like if it did react like menthos in coke :lol: you'd be banned form brewing for life and all that precious beer all over the room

Get one of those cheapo hop socks and elastic band it round the end of your siphon stick. I've a spare one you can have if you want.
Yeah got one ta. The stick also clogged! It was a PITA all round. Won't be dry hopping with pellets again if I can avoid it.

Is there much co2 dissolved in the beer at that point? I'd have thought without an airtight seal it would just escape easily.

And that wouldn't explain why it doesn't happen with leaf hops.

Either way it seems to be a thing that happens with pellets.

I would think there is quite a bit of dissolved co2, I am thinking about how we have to degas wine, if you think about how much froth you can get out of a beer as you bottle it if you let the syphon run with a splash into the bottom. With leaf hops you are adding a few nucleation points into the wort and the gas will probably cling to the hop leaves, if you think about it as the pellets break up you are adding thousands of new bits of powder for the gas to form on. It's still my best guess. Not that it matters it seems to be a phenomenon that is unique to pellet hops (which is why I add them in a muslin bag)

Thank you very much for all of your precious information, I really appreciate that, hope this match of beer taste ok..:lol:

Latest posts

Back