Dry hop in bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Specifically when filling a few bottles from a keg via a beer gun and where the bottles would be drunk in a week or two.

Does anyone do this? seems like a good way to replace any aroma that has been lost from a brew. Essentially last weekend i was going to bottle a few beers for a mate and just thought why not put a a few grams of citra powder in each bottle first. I didnt get round to it but would be interested in hearing if people have had good results aroma wise doing this.

Nope! Never done it!

However, I have put a Hop Tea into a keg so it may work.

On the downside I still remember when I was about 15 and no-one was allowed into the pantry until Mum’s 20 bottles of over carbonated ginger beer exploded!

Unlike adding sugar, I’m not sure that adding hops is as controllable, but it sounds like a good idea!
athumb..

PS
Unlike kegs, bottles do not have a pressure release system.

I wouldn't necessarily say everywhere, but yes. Lots of foam. One bottle, two glasses

I hadn’t even considered foaming! Would 1g in 500m bottle cause foaming? Only one way to find out I guess.

My concern was the possibility of a green taste as sometimes it takes a while for dry hop flavour to mellow. Thinking of using Lupo powder

How about making a hop tea and adding some to each bottle?

I’ve read very mixed reports on hop tea so have yet to try it. Maybe 5g in 50 ml of water at 70c for 20 mins , strained then divided into 5 bottles?

I hadn’t even considered foaming! Would 1g in 500m bottle cause foaming? Only one way to find out I guess.

My concern was the possibility of a green taste as sometimes it takes a while for dry hop flavour to mellow. Thinking of using Lupo powder
Some of the bottles I did had whole hops in them (citra) for many months. No grassy off flavours whatsoever

I’ve read very mixed reports on hop tea so have yet to try it. Maybe 5g in 50 ml of water at 70c for 20 mins , strained then divided into 5 bottles?
I use a 250ml coffee cafeteria to make the Hop Tea as follows:
  • Put in 10g of hops
  • Pour on boiling water to fill
  • Cap and wait 20 minutes
  • Push down on plunger
  • Pour resulting Hop Tea into keg(s)
I repeat the system for the 2nd keg.

This results in no visible hop “bits” in the keg …
athumb..
… but getting the hops out of the cafeteria usually results in a complete dismantling!
aheadbutt

I use a 250ml coffee cafeteria to make the Hop Tea as follows:
  • Put in 10g of hops
  • Pour on boiling water to fill
  • Cap and wait 20 minutes
  • Push down on plunger
  • Pour resulting Hop Tea into keg(s)
I repeat the system for the 2nd keg.

This results in no visible hop “bits” in the keg …
athumb..
… but getting the hops out of the cafeteria usually results in a complete dismantling!
aheadbutt
I do virtually the same except I use a large cafetière - works well as a simple technique

Latest posts

Back