Dry hop suggestions for splitting a BIPA four ways.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IainM

Landlord.
Reaction score
So, I did a Black IPA a while ago. I want to split into four batches of 5L, each with a different dry hop.

It spent 17 days in primary and has been bulk conditioning for the best part of a month since then. It was bittered with 30g Nugget @ 60mins, and 20g Falconers Flight at flameout. It will be about 7.5% after priming. In the freezer I have:

100g Simcoe
100g Chinook
100g Citra
100g Centennial
100g Ahtanum
45g Zeus
40g Amarillo
50g Falconer's Flight
60g EKG

I would like them to be quite different from one another, and hit certain adjectives (pine/evergreen/herbal/dank/citrus/orange/grapefruit). This would seem straight forward, but apart from the obvious ones people disagree about which adjectives go with which hop. Some say Chinook is more piney and less herbal than Simcoe, others say the other way around. One website says centennial has subdued floral aroma, others say that it is very floral.

Anyway, my current thinking is this:

Evergreen/Piney: 20g Simcoe, 15g Chinook
Dank/Herbal: 21g Zeus, 7g Chinook, 7g Simcoe
Citrus1/Grapefruit: 15g Citra, 20g Ahtanum
Citrus2/Orange: 15g Centennial, 20g Amarillo

Would anyone recommend using a quarter of the hops for a hop tea and the rest for the dry hop, or would you prefer to just bung the lot in as dry hop? At the moment I'm using 35g per 5L, so the equivalent of 160g in a full batch. Perhaps I should ramp it up?

I hope to get this done tonight to get them ready for the festive season, but as you can see I'm still umming and arring, so any comments will be welcome.

Back