Dry Hopped Larger

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssashton

Regular.
Reaction score
I want to make a dry hopped lager. However, I notice most dry hop larger recipes on the net do not seem to use 'lager' hops at all. Most just use Cascade, Citra etc.. typical hops used in late and dry hopping but not typical of lager.

I imagined they'd be using a lager hop like Hallertau or Saaz for bittering followed by aroma hops like Citra for the late and dry hop.

What's up? Is there a reason this is not the case? Should I just follow the recipe or shall I try going for lager hops at 60min and then aroma hops later?

Last edited:
How much larger?

Seriously though, try searching for “Italian Pilsner”, for some reason lagers dry hopped with noble hops seem to be termed this.

Lol, about this much!

I'd blame my speel check, but aktually I'm just **** at speeling.

Is it crazy to try a mixture of Nobel for bittering and US for aroma?

Lol, about this much!

I'd blame my speel check, but aktually I'm just s**t at speeling.

Is it crazy to try a mixture of Nobel for bittering and US for aroma?
I misread your post as well - I thought you were wanting all noble hops (for bittering and dry hop additions) which is why I pointed you in the direction of the “Italian Pilsner”, but you want noble for bittering and American as late additions.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. The Greg Hughes rice lager mixes saaz with Sorachi Ace

For a commercial example try adnams dry hop lager if you haven’t before. They use galaxy.

my guess is it’s only a small charge in the dry hop but it works very well! No idea on bittering but I think you’re probably right to use a noble!

I don't see why you can't use noble hops throughout, even the dry hop charge. Is there any point in using nobles for bittering if you're going to Galaxy or Citra at the end? Might as well just use Magnum for bittering. I see from some historical recipes that Saaz were used for dry hopping in some English ales.

I don't see why you can't use noble hops throughout, even the dry hop charge. Is there any point in using nobles for bittering if you're going to Galaxy or Citra at the end? Might as well just use Magnum for bittering. I see from some historical recipes that Saaz were used for dry hopping in some English ales.

From your reply I guess you think Galaxy / Citra would detract from Saaz or are inferior somehow?

I was just thinking I liked the Saaz lager I made and I love the aroma of american IPA so why not make the Saaz lager and stick some american dry hop in it?

From your reply I guess you think Galaxy / Citra would detract from Saaz or are inferior somehow?

I was just thinking I liked the Saaz lager I made and I love the aroma of american IPA so why not make the Saaz lager and stick some american dry hop in it?
No. I don't think they're inferior, they're lovely hops, but rather dominant in flavour so they'd overwhelm the Saaz. Since Saaz had such a low alpha acid content they tend to be a bit expensive when used as a bittering hop especially if a higher alpha hop would do just as well. But. I might be wrong, I haven't tried it, they might complement each other. It's nearly cool enough to start lager brewing again and one of my favourites is fuggles lager, but this year I'm going to use some of these newer English hops like Jester and Olicana.

Just try it but as AA says do not use a lot of American/IPA hops as they will certainly over power the noble hops, finding a blend/balance to suit your individual taste may take a few attempts hence people have versions 2 and 3 etc

In the "good old days" When English brewers found local hops in short supply they'd use whatever they could get.

Latest posts

Back