Dry hopper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a recipe from Greg Hughes book Home Brew Beer. NEIPA. Yes, it is expensive! The price of a pint goes from under 50p for a pale ale to just shy of a quid for this NEIPA. Still, I have to pay £6, yes £6 a pint for a 6%ABV NEIPA at my local Brewhouse!

Edit: 150g citra 13.8% and 100g galaxy 14.5%
good point re the cash. I am not familiar with either of these hops,they are not on my extensive lists that I downloaded within the last 18 months. Are they new? Also, apart from sounding delicious, the high aau content of the blend sounds engulfing, I only go to 100gms with varieties that have only half that aau.

Just when you thought you were safe from me yacking on about another dry hopper....well, I've come up with another design. I decided that the Mk III version was OK but needed improvement as the bucket didn't always release all the hops. Second, I thought I might try dry hopping both at the start and towards the end of fermentation, so needed a SMALLER dry hopper so I could fit 2 under the lid rather than just one. See pics of the MK IV, the Ultimate Dry Hopper 😂.
IMG_20220710_205724298.jpg
IMG_20220710_205812551.jpg

View showing the hopper closed.
IMG_20220710_205734339.jpg
IMG_20220710_205749170.jpg

View showing hopper opened. Each hopper can hold up to 150 grams but only accommodate around 100grams of pellets.
If you want to see more and have a laugh have a look at this...

Last edited:
The ingenuity of the Home Brewing community is amazing.

When not drinking beer, making beer or thinking about drinking or making beer then I find myself thinking about the next mod that I'm going to copy.

24 hours waiting for the 3D printer to do it's job. An hour of clean up and fitting the magnets and, job done. Not a lot of time and effort.......now. Want one?
Crikey I'd love one.... though I'm not sure if that's just because I think it's so darned cool or because I'd use it. I tend to only dry hop in quantity with closed pressure brews, and this wouldn't work for that. Very marketable though!😍

That's pretty awesome.. I tell you what, you have a decent product there for people that brew in plastic buckets, you could take that further into market maybe?.. Its the sort of thing I've come to expect to see released Kegland solving brewday problems for the home brewer with a bit of creativity/ingenuity

I did try shellac on one of my early hoppers and wasn’t happy with it. Now looking at epoxy resin and polyurethane varnish, favouring the latter at the moment. The hopper isn’t in contact with the brew but I want it to be sealed so it can be washed and dried easily.

You taking orders??!! LOVE this!
Glad you like it 👍🏻. Not taking orders as such, but as with my King Keg cap, I’m happy to share my crazy gadgets with fellow brewers on this forum. As for this dry hopper, even I have to admit, it is a very expensive gadget as it stands. There are over twenty quids worth of magnets alone! ashock1. The plastic bits that I print myself cost me around seven quid. There’s three quids worth of fasteners so you’re up to thirty quid before postage. I am looking to see if I can engineer out a few magnets and make a larger 200 gram version (double the size of the latest i carnation). For no other reason other than it gives me something to do and exercises my aging brain 😂

Latest posts

Back